• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on going from cutting to bulking

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st: How long is too long to cut? I've been doing CKD for about 2 months now and got good results, but I think I've stalled. I'm approx 9 or 10% bf and I've been there for a couple of weeks. I would like to lose a couple more pounds but it doesn't look like it's going to happen unless I cut more calories and I don't think I can do that without losing muscle. Plus I would be too hungry to deal.

2nd: If I decide to start bulking, I was thinking of basically keeping my current diet with 2 changes: add oatmeal to my bacon and eggs in the morning, and switch my straight protein powder post workout for a gainer powder. That takes me from about 1900-1950 calories to around 2700, which is just above where I think my maintenance level should be. I end up with about 150 grams of carbs, give or take. If my current lbm is about 165, is that enough carbs for gaining? Too much?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you decide to do, I suggest you take a good diet break before moving onto the bulking side. Eating at around maintenance and keeping the workout intensity the same, you might just drop a pound or two without even trying too much.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
1st: How long is too long to cut? I've been doing CKD for about 2 months now and got good results, but I think I've stalled. I'm approx 9 or 10% bf and I've been there for a couple of weeks. I would like to lose a couple more pounds but it doesn't look like it's going to happen unless I cut more calories and I don't think I can do that without losing muscle. Plus I would be too hungry to deal.

2nd: If I decide to start bulking, I was thinking of basically keeping my current diet with 2 changes: add oatmeal to my bacon and eggs in the morning, and switch my straight protein powder post workout for a gainer powder. That takes me from about 1900-1950 calories to around 2700, which is just above where I think my maintenance level should be. I end up with about 150 grams of carbs, give or take. If my current lbm is about 165, is that enough carbs for gaining? Too much?

I agree with Trh. As far as your carbs, when I started my last bulk I was 164lbs and I was eating a tad more than 150g of carbs - but I wasn't counting every day. In fact, I started to use the scale/mirror after a while and stopped counting all together. I think you should be fine with 150 to start with, and see how it goes from there. I would also take his advise and don't go immediately into a big surplus. Ease into it.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you keep adding weight to the bar through your bulk. This is where I see people go wrong. If youre gaining weight but your lifts go nowhere, you're probably not adding quality pounds.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bulking on 2700 calories is like driving a whole F1 race in 1st gear. If it's your maintance it's more like being in neutral.

One of the benefits of bulking is you're eating more. So you're recovery is better. So you can work out harder. Which tends to lead to you burning more. Which requires you to eat more.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I should have been clearer. I was thinking along the lines that TRH suggested, where I should ease into it instead of going from a deficit to a huge surplus immediately. I've been on a deficit for quite some time now and 1500 calorie swing might have some unintended consequences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads