• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on getting jeans tapered?

uluvbs

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I just bought AG jeans that I will need to get hemmed (shortened).

I think the legs are also a bit billowy. How risky is it getting the legs tapered (maybe narrowng the opening by 1.5 inches and getting most of the leg taken in a bit)?

Is this something AG (or another tailor ud recommend) would do and can it be done safely? Also, I'n assuming the would open up only the inner seam and remove fabric in that manner? Thanks.

DBoon

Reaction score
Any tailor in the world can do it, but I'd reccomend making sure your tailor speaks good enough english that they can repeat back to you what you want. I assume your jeans have no selvedge line, and thusly it doesn't really matter if they alter the inseam or outseam. But unless they stitch it back up with neon pink thread, or mess up the measurements, you'll be fine. Most people are happy that they went through with a taper.

brohymn

Reaction score
It's a pretty safe procedure. With the advancements in tailoring within the last 20 years or so, there's really only a 2% or so risk of a life-threatening altercation.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any competent tailor can do it. I had a pair of bootcut Crates slimmed; my tailor was a bit resistant to the idea of a 7" hem but I stuck to my guns and he did a great job.

effang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Any competent tailor can do it. I had a pair of bootcut Crates slimmed; my tailor was a bit resistant to the idea of a 7" hem but I stuck to my guns and he did a great job.

how tall are you?

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5'11", or 6' if I feel up to it.
smile.gif

Here are the Crates I had done, before and after:

stp80888modch4.jpg

stp81494yb4.jpg

uluvbs

Reaction score
so I could ask the tailor to trim, say, a half-inch starting at the mid-thigh and taper them such that we remove a full inch or inch and a half at the hem?

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

JeansSitting.jpg

As you can see, they look a lot more snug (and better) when sitting down.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What model AG's are those? I have the Protege in All color. I think the same thing now that you brought it up. I think your 1/2" mid-thigh to 1.5" at hem would make sense. I might do this also. I see my tailor next week. I'll ask him about it.

esspee1200

Reaction score
just be careful when tapering jeans. you dont want to pull the MC Hammer look!!

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Since this is already bumped up, I'd just like to ask warlok why your tailor resisted it? Did he think it would throw off the proportions or balance? Have to say it looks great.

I'll be throwing up a picture of a pair of Pure Blue Japans I just took to the tailor today. Smallest it got was at the knee about 7.625 but then flared out to 8 at the hem - it was supposed to be a straight leg. Kicking it to a 7" hem, tapered from the slimmest part at the knee, inseam only to save the selvedge line.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naw, he's just an older Italian guy, a classical tailor who doesn't keep up with modern trends like skinny jeans. I was there a couple of days ago and he told me when he was a 12 year old in Italy he was apprenticed out to a master tailor for room and board, started out sweeping the shop and other menial stuff, and later was gradually introduced to the art of tailoring. That was how craftsmen were trained back in the day; we had a laugh about it that such a thing would probably get the parents and the master thrown in jail in this day and age.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Wow, your tailor has quite a pedigree. My guy... uh... I trust him. That's all I need to know.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're a dying breed. Pretty soon there will only be old ladies at the dry cleaners who know dick about men's tailored clothing.

As for my guy, he's hilarious. I think he must be incredibly bored because I usually have to set aside at least a half hour per visit while he chats about various things. Sometimes it's a little annoying, but it adds that "unhurried" European flavor to my tailoring needs so its cool. Plus he really educates me about clothes and how they are made. This last time he busted out with his tailoring bible (in Italian, from the 50s) that shows you how to do anything including Roman and medieval costumes all the way up to the modern lounge suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads