• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on getting a Swedish work permit/job in Sweden

Howell31

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just finished undergrad and would like to move to Sweden for a year or two and live with some good friends I made, exchange students at my university. So I've got the friends I can stay with and the money I need and what not, however, it's difficult to get a work permit.
In order to get a work permit you must have a written job offer on paper from an employer in Sweden, but the catch 22 is that you cannot apply for the permit while you are in Sweden but rather only from your home country (I live in the USA).
Right now, I just started working at American Apparel about a month ago, so if I stay on for a year then I could perhaps transfer overseas, however I don't want to wait that long.
Anyone out there who has some advice? Or better yet a Swede looking for employees? Haha

Thanks in advance, Look forward to hearing anything and everything!

rjacobs

Reaction score
Open a kebab stand.

Or try doing something else under the table for awhile.

Another option: get a friend who looks somewhat like you and have them take care of all the work permit stuff from the USA.

Sweden is really bureaucratic, but no one actually seems to know or enforce all the rules - that was my experience 7 years ago anyway. Not sure if it's changed.

MumRaww

Reaction score
What kind of work do you want to do? Where do you plan on staying?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
why does Sweden need you?

when you are able to answer that question, apply.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Howell31
Hi everyone,
I just finished undergrad and would like to move to Sweden for a year or two and live with some good friends I made, exchange students at my university. So I've got the friends I can stay with and the money I need and what not, however, it's difficult to get a work permit.
In order to get a work permit you must have a written job offer on paper from an employer in Sweden, but the catch 22 is that you cannot apply for the permit while you are in Sweden but rather only from your home country (I live in the USA).
Right now, I just started working at American Apparel about a month ago, so if I stay on for a year then I could perhaps transfer overseas, however I don't want to wait that long.
Anyone out there who has some advice? Or better yet a Swede looking for employees? Haha

Thanks in advance, Look Forward to hearing anything and everything!

You might want to look for other more stable jobs in your country first, because AA isn't doing too well.

Howell31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MumRaww
What kind of work do you want to do? Where do you plan on staying?

I'm going to live with my friends in the Hagerston neighborhood in Stockholm.

I'm an art history and architecture student, but I'm willing to do most anything for a year or so (I'm taking a gap year or two before grad school).

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
aaaah swedish women,second only to Copenhagen

MumRaww

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Howell31
I'm going to live with my friends in the Hagerston neighborhood in Stockholm.

I'm an art history and architecture student, but I'm willing to do most anything for a year or so (I'm taking a gap year or two before grad school).

I assume you mean Hägersten? I have a few friends in that neighborhood.

The job market in Sweden is really tough right now, your best bet would be to work at a cafÃ
00a9.png
or something like McDonalds (
laugh.gif
) or maybe some of the independent boutiques.

Not speaking Swedish will make **** hard for you though...

Howell31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MumRaww
I assume you mean Hägersten? I have a few friends in that neighborhood. The job market in Sweden is really tough right now, your best bet would be to work at a cafÃ
00a9.png
or something like McDonalds (
laugh.gif
) or maybe some of the independent boutiques. Not speaking Swedish will make **** hard for you though...

Yea, I meant Hagersten, thanks. I've been checking out arbetsförmedlingen, the Swedish National job search site and it does seem like something in the food service sector would be almost the only option....something I'm not very excited about to say the least, but might be willing to give it a go if it's the only option.

Watchaholic

Reaction score
Might want to get a move on, on that work permit http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-Sweden.html
Anti-immigration party formed from skinhead movement seizes balance of power in Sweden * Democrats win 20 seats to enter parliament for first time * Centre parties refuse to work with them as currency falls Sweden was today coming to terms with the emergence of a far right party into mainstream politics. The anti-immigration Democrats now hold the balance of power in Sweden after the centre-right government failed to win an outright majority. Unemployment and the flood of foreigners into the south of the country have been blamed for the rise of the group, which began life as a faction of skinheads. Now the party will enter Parliament for the first time, with 20 seats.

Howell31

Reaction score

MumRaww

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Watchaholic
Might want to get a move on, on that work permit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-Sweden.html

Yesterday was actually the first time I protested/demonstrated. I actually feel bad for Sweden right now...

Our best hope right now is that Miljöpartiet will agree to form a coalition with the right-wing power block to create a majority in the parliament so that Sverige Demokraterna (Sweden Democrats) will be rendered powerless.

It's ridiculous that a party that 12 years ago wore Nazi uniforms and want to deny immigrants the right of free religion and healthcare is in a position of power or in the parliament at all.

Sorry if I'm boring you with Swedish politics...

Howell31

Reaction score
MumRaww; Sorry if I'm boring you with Swedish politics...[/QUOTE said:
Hey, no probz. It is important, although perhaps it deserves a thread of it's own, and on the other hand it would be nice to hear more feedback about the work permit situation.

Watchaholic

Reaction score
The blonde hair and blue eyes might work in your favour in some situations but when it comes to you getting your work permit I imagine if they were fully in power, you would be affected too! Shame you're not a chick though... something about them blondey bluey's :p

MumRaww - no need to apologise, its always good to hear how its affecting in real life what one just sees/reads on/in the news - correct me if im wrong though but I always got the impression that Sweden was already generally very anti-migrant workers?

MumRaww

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Watchaholic
The blonde hair and blue eyes might work in your favour in some situations but when it comes to you getting your work permit I imagine if they were fully in power, you would be affected too! Shame you're not a chick though... something about them blondey bluey's :p MumRaww - no need to apologise, its always good to hear how its affecting in real life what one just sees/reads on/in the news - correct me if im wrong though but I always got the impression that Sweden was already generally very anti-migrant workers?
One proposal from SD was to cut immigration with 90% - but I don't think that they will be able to enforce that seeing as all other political parties refuse to cooperate with them. I'm very curious to see how things play out. Sweden have always had a tradition of hospitality and generally held a very humanistic view on the whole issue. Right now one in five or one in seven (depending on which statistics you use as source) Swedish citizens are from a different culture. For example, the municipality of Södertölje have accepted more Iraki refugees than both USA and Canda combined. During the post-war era Sweden's was booming and we needed manpower which often came from Greece, Italy, Turkey, Austria former Yugoslavia and later Finland. During the 80-90s we also accepted a lot of refugees from Yugoslavia, Chile and the Middle East (especially Iran).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads