1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on formal but hip brown shoes for wedding

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by skwp, Oct 23, 2012.

Which should I get?

1. Langley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Braun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Radford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Thursom

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Get something from AE instead

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  1. skwp

skwp Member

Hey guys. Getting married in January. I got a dark charcoal suit being made for me in Chicago. Now looking at a few shoes...looking for something that is formal, but I want them a bit hip and playful. I am thinking dark brown to get away from the standard black. I was advised by an allen edmonds guy to look at kenilworth or park ave in dark brown, which is a possibility, but I still feel they're a bit traditional

What about these choices from H by Hudson...any comments? Maybe they're not formal enough? My favorite is langley which is first.

http://www.hudsonshoes.com/langley-brown.html
    [​IMG]

http://www.hudsonshoes.com/braun-brown.html
    [​IMG]

http://www.hudsonshoes.com/radford-brown.html
    [​IMG]

http://www.hudsonshoes.com/thursom-brown.html
    [​IMG]

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

For your wedding, that is an excellent thing. You're going to be looking at those photos for a long, long time.

A well shined pair of Park Avenues is the canonical answer here. IMO, you should be wearing black shoes to your wedding, but if you really want brown, make sure to stick with something very dark.

3. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

Don't buy from Hudson - all those styles are objectively horrible I'm afraid, and the quality will likely be incredible poor. Get some AEs if you can, they'll shine up well and last you long enough to more than justify the extra money you spent on them.

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The Hudsons look quite cheap and nasty. If you're going for that particular price point, order something from Bexley, a French chain of shoe stores with a web site. I own one pair of Bexleys, and while they are not the best shoes I own, they have decent styling and construction, and a European aesthetic (rather than and Anglo-American one). I own the shoes in the link below in black, but they also come in chocolate, which might suit your tastes.

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-Paul-RICHPRD-EN.htm?blocReferrer=13762

As an alternative, perhaps this would do as well:

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-flavio-RICHPRD-EN.htm?blocReferrer=15545&oASPPopupPromo=X

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. Jester87

Jester87 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your wedding! I'm getting married next August in Chicago, and I'm going with my AE's.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

Dude, if you're getting married you need to go all out on your shoes, especially since you've chosen brown. There is no other alternative except to buy these Edward Green Midfords in dark oak:

[​IMG]

Here is my pair:
    [​IMG]

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

Wow, I just realized I gave the same advice on another wedding/brown shoes thread:

8. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Since it's a wedding, you really need to be looking at balmorals instead of blutchers. Dark brown is already not as formal as black, so if you end up with brown blutcher it will make everything quite informal. There are those who would say it is incorrect to wear a blutcher with a suit anyway, let alone at a wedding.

What's your shoe budget? Unless you give one, the recommendations will be all over the map price-wise.

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Please define "hip and playful" and provide a bit of color on how in your mind that does not contradict "formal" (or perhaps more properly, "conservative", as "formal" is a defined term in the context of MC).

I see nothing more "hip" or "playful" about the shoes you posted compared to their equivalent models from Allen Edmonds, all of which will be better in terms of both aesthetics and quality.

And for what it's worth, there is nothing especially "hip" or "playful" about wearing brown shoes. So you might as well go with black.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  12. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

13. Fred G. Unn

14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I second (or third?) this. Oxblood is a great color. AE makes some shoes in "merlot" that is a really nice dark burgundy and would go will with charcoal.

One suggestion: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6208_1_40000000001_-1

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Please wear black shoes.

16. syedtaalib

syedtaalib Member

17. Fred G. Unn

18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

x2. This is the correct answer.

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I already said my peace, but x3. Definitely the right answer.

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member