• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on first pair of well constructed shoes

intellx

Reaction score
I'm late at getting into the game and am finally looking to purchase a new pair of shoes for multiple occasions.

What I want out of my shoes:

Versatility

Ideally I'd like to be able to wear them with any color (navy, gray, black, etc.)

Comfort

I'm going to be standing in them for at the minimum of 8 hours a day and would prefer they don't make me contemplate suicide after a long days work.

Durability

I'd rather not have to change into them once I'm done treading through the snow to get indoors for the day. It'd also be nice if they lasted for quite some time too.

Appearance

Will mainly be wearing them with pants, shirt, and a tie for work. I'd like to be able to wear them with a suit though when I'm not at work. In a perfect world I'd love to be able to wear them with jeans too, but I don't know if that's possible.

Price range is around $600ish max. I'm a size 13, not sure about the width. I've been looking into the Alden cordovan shell shoes, but I'm open to anything else within my price range.

Any suggestions?

emptym

Reaction score
I'd go w/ the Aldens, as long as they fit you well. If you were a 10, I'd say you should go w/ Vass.
devil.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vass

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never recommend treading through snow in dress shoes to begin with.
It would be better to wear proper winter boots and have a pair of dress shoes at work,
or invest in a pair of galoshes to protect your investment, should you insist on wearing dress shoes in snow or slush.

intellx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I'd go w/ the Aldens, as long as they fit you well. If you were a 10, I'd say you should go w/ Vass.
devil.gif

What makes the difference in recommendation over my shoe size alone? Are the Vass not available in 13?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Black, NOT BROWN.

Unless you're in Italy or wear tan suits most days.

intellx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Black, NOT BROWN.

Unless you're in Italy or wear tan suits most days.

Black just seems so....bleh to me. I like to have contrast.

I was thinking of going with a burgundy color or something deep and rich. I've seen a lot of people in the WAYWT thread wear brown shoes with virtually any outfit they have and I think it looks really good.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intellx
What makes the difference in recommendation over my shoe size alone? Are the Vass not available in 13?
I was selling a pair of Vass boots in size 10.

I think the Alden chukkas in burgundy with a commando sole would be good for your purposes. Alden of Carmel sells them. Maybe others too. Just be sure to try some on a pair of shoes/boots in the Barrie last to be sure you get your size right before you send for them..

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black just seems so....bleh to me. I like to have contrast.

I was thinking of going with a burgundy color or something deep and rich. I've seen a lot of people in the WAYWT thread wear brown shoes with virtually any outfit they have and I think it looks really good.

Sounds like you're on the right track in thinking

For $600 I doubt you'll find a good new pair of Vass in the style and color you want

My recommendation is shell cordovan Alden plain toe blucher on the Plaza last (in cordovan #8 color)that come with the commando soles

You can order from Theleathersoul for close to $600

They are built like tanks and have the sole for winter wear plus highly comfortable over time.

mimile

Reaction score
I'm late at getting into the game and am finally looking to purchase a new pair of shoes for multiple occasions.

What I want out of my shoes:

Versatility

Ideally I'd like to be able to wear them with any color (navy, gray, black, etc.)

Comfort

I'm going to be standing in them for at the minimum of 8 hours a day and would prefer they don't make me contemplate suicide after a long days work.

Durability

I'd rather not have to change into them once I'm done treading through the snow to get indoors for the day. It'd also be nice if they lasted for quite some time too.

Appearance

Will mainly be wearing them with pants, shirt, and a tie for work. I'd like to be able to wear them with a suit though when I'm not at work. In a perfect world I'd love to be able to wear them with jeans too, but I don't know if that's possible.

Price range is around $600ish max. I'm a size 13, not sure about the width. I've been looking into the Alden cordovan shell shoes, but I'm open to anything else within my price range.

Any suggestions?

There are 2 basic shoes one should have: plain black for black suits and brown (preferably brogued) for all the others. You can still wear black for navy and gray.
For this range of price, I would consider: Alfred Sargent, Crockett and Jones or Tricker's.
Please go to www.pediwear.co.uk and browse a bit.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Tom is great to work with but I suspect that you'll have to do a special order given your size. You should also know your width and then he can give the best size recommendation.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the Alden longwing in #8 or the standard wingtip in #8. The shoemart has both in 13. I also am a size 13 (D) and if you go with a Barrie, I'd recommend you try the 12.5, it's a perfect fit for me (and also in stock). You can always order them both and return what does not work. Longwing Wingtip It's probably too light in color for your needs, but the cigar longwing is in stock as well (only 13, no 12.5). Those are hard to find, and it is a lovely shoe. Cigar longwing As for buying from Tom, he never stocks 13s, you have to get in on special pre-orders. I'm waiting on some shell boots now. Maybe if enough of us ask, he'll start stocking larger sizes. I think when they first opened he didn't go over a US 10. With the new store in LA opening, there should be more demand for larger sizes.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
This would be a nice choice. It's from Leather Soul Hawaii.

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...lassy-blucher/

Great shoe, I've never tried the Hampton last either. I'm loving that close-heel welt! If these were double stacked I'd really be kicking myself right now since I just bought a pair of these on the Barrie last

Here's the one I was talking about above:

Alden PTB on Plaza Last - Commando Sole

Also +1 on the need to special order since it said he only stocked up to size 12E, although a 12E will fit a 12.5D easily and possibly even a 13D given these are the Plaza last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads