• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice on buying fabrics in Switzerland

GBer

Reaction score
Passing through Switzerland and want to get advice on where and how to best purchase fabrics for shirting and suits. I've always seen fabrics made in Switzerland touted on higher end clothing. Is it possible for an individual to purchase them? Or is it limited to someone who will buy large bolts? I have no experience in doing this, so help would be appreciated.

Are there showrooms where I can see the bolts of fabric? I am hoping to see a large selection to choose from.

I assume for a 2 pc suit I need about 3.5 to 5 m
for shirting = ?

Does anyone have experience doing this in Switzerland?

Do you get value for the price? Heard the pricing in Switzerland is not the best for value. Or is it recommended to get the fabric elsewhere (e.g. US, England)?

Thanks in advance!

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I heard you were passing through Switzerland and also Germany. Maybe you should buy some shoe care products and suiting fabric when you're there.

GBer

Reaction score
Just trying to help the Euro economy

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, what a coincidence, me too! I bet I could also round up about 100 people who could really benefit from your stimulus plan.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Hey, what a coincidence, me too! I bet I could also round up about 100 people who could really benefit from your stimulus plan.

I hear Sarko is offering some cash and a plane flight home. Why don't you take his offer?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's lonely being the only gypsy with 2500 posts on a fashion forum. I need my high-speed.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
I'll try again to give you some advice: forget it. There are no stores that cater to the CMT-crowd (because there is no such thing in Switzerland) and if you were to buy Alumo fabrics at a shirtmaker's, you'd pay the markup. I wouldn't know about Swiss suiting cloth, but the answer stays the same regardless. On top of that, the Swiss Franc is very strong at the moment vs. the Euro and the Pound.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the swiss do not produce suiting fabric.
I have not been to switzerland in years.
there may be over the counter fabric stores.
not sure if they will stock high count shirting or just things for home decor and women's fabrics.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
not sure if they will stock high count shirting or just things for home decor and women's fabrics.
+1 Women's fabrics and stuff for upholstery is easy to get hold of. I know a shirtmaker in Zurich that has bolts of shirting fabrics in the store, but I don't know the mill and, as I said, it will not be cheap enough to be worthwile. Alumo itself is in the canton of Appenzell, which is not exactly centrally located, and I don't think they sell to the public. They won't even give out sample books, even if you offer to pay for them (I asked them once).

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
I'll try again to give you some advice: forget it. There are no stores that cater to the CMT-crowd (because there is no such thing in Switzerland) and if you were to buy Alumo fabrics at a shirtmaker's, you'd pay the markup. I wouldn't know about Swiss suiting cloth, but the answer stays the same regardless. On top of that, the Swiss Franc is very strong at the moment vs. the Euro and the Pound.

Thanks, had no idea. At parity with the dollar too.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
Alumo itself is in the canton of Appenzell

Interesting, I am visiting a company near there. Is Alumo one of the large fabric makers in Switzerland?

Can you provide the name of the shirtmaker you mentioned earlier?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.