• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on AE hillcrest shoes.

ezboy1000

Reaction score
I am looking at a pair of light red brown hillcrest AE's on STP, but haven't pulled the trigger. There is the extra 20% off email operating until this Sunday, so I must decide soon.

Here is the link: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...s-For-Men.html

If they had my size in wine I'd be waiting for the shipment instead of posting here. I am not usually a fan of brown shoes, particularly lighter shades.

At the moment I only have one pair of brown shoes to wear with attire that will only properly coordinate with brown. If I have a choice in the matter, I'll go with black or burgundy shoes.

However, these do look rather nice, and I am limited in my selection due to my EEE foot and the fact I prefer a more squared toe.

It also might be time for me to start wearing brown with navy and charcoal( given the proper combination), instead of always choosing burgundy. Any thoughts on the shoes themselves and/or my pending foray into the world of greater "brown"?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the color you are referring to is A-E's burnished chestnut. This can look very smart with navy, but I would definitely not wear it with charcoal.

Mostly it's a matter of taste. I bought my boy the Hillcrest in merlot because he liked the style. I do not care for the bicycle toe, so it never tempted me.

Some purists would tell you that the Hillcrest, with its blucher design, boxy contours, double-sole and bicycle toe is less than optimal as a "suit shoe." Depending on the milieu you move in, this may be a consideration. It is still a helluva lot more elegant and appropriate than the vast majority of shoes I see worn with suits. I don't think my stepson looks bad pairing his Hillcrests with a suit.

ezboy1000

Reaction score
I am aware of the issues you raise, although I haven't seen this shoe in person and thought it might work with charcoal. That isn't a deal breaker anyway, as in my books nothing works with charcoal like burgundy.

I also noticed STP has my size in fairfax, which I hadn't noticed before. Thoughts?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...d-For-Men.html

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
both the light brown hillcrest and fairfax on STP are probably chestnut, as jan said above. here are auctions showing pictures of what chestnut looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALLEN-EDMOND...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALLEN-EDMONDS-FA...QQcmdZViewItem

(I'm not the seller). The hillcrest is on the 4 last (same as the byron and leeds), and the fairfax is on the 5 last (same as the park avenue).

I have the hillcrest in chestnut. I like the way it looks in isolation, but have a hard time wearing it in practice. I've worn it maybe 10 times in the past 3 or 4 years.

ezboy1000

Reaction score
Upon further consideration I don't think the Hillcrest will be my choice. I am leaning towards the fairfax.

I haven't worn AE's before, so I am not sure which last is the best for me. I am only now trying to upgrade my shoe collection, as I've only ever bought in the 150-200 retail range before.

I will go try some on today, but in the brief few minutes of walking around the store might not get the proper read.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ezboy1000
Upon further consideration I don't think the Hillcrest will be my choice. I am leaning towards the fairfax.

I haven't worn AE's before, so I am not sure which last is the best for me. I am only now trying to upgrade my shoe collection, as I've only ever bought in the 150-200 retail range before.

I will go try some on today, but in the brief few minutes of walking around the store might not get the proper read.

FWIW, my chesnut Fairfaxes are among my favorite shoes; however, I have small feet (7C/D). An acquaintance of mine also has a pair (probably a size 11 or so) and I thought they looked absolutly horrid.

On the plus side, returns are easy at STP, you might want to order both the Hillcrest and the Fairfax just to see what you like.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Hillcrest in merlot (Size 9.5). I never bought them with the remotest idea of ever wearing them with a suit; they are strictly knocking-about shoes. In my opinion, they would be just awful with a suit. They are truly clunky shoes. First they have a double sole which just accentuates their massive scale. Next, they have a 360-degree storm welt with very wide sole extension--further emphasizing their large scale. Finally, they are bicycle-toe bluchers--just about the furthest style you'd want to pair up with a suit. As for the Fairfax, this would be far from my first choice, but it is a vastly trimmer shoe than the Hillcrest and is a balmoral--these facts making it far more appropriate for wear with a suit.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ezboy,

In addition to Roger's points, which I agree with re: hillcrest, the edge of the sole is tan and not black like other AEs, making it even more casual and less of a good choice with suits. I'm not a huge fan of either but would probably go with fairfax. It is considerably more narrow than Hillcrest so if you're a true EEE, you may find it tight (I am a 9.5E and can't fit into in AE #5 lasts of that size). Also, try a darker brown than chestnut to wear with navy and charcoal if you're starting down the brown shoe road.

ezboy1000

Reaction score
I truly appreciate all the input.

I haven't really taken an interest in footwear until recently. I figure if I am going to truly dress well I should begin caring about the shoes, not just the shirts, ties, suits, etc..

I am starting to think I might buy two pairs of AE's, one in chestnut and one in burgundy. However, I am open to other styles, not merely the ones I've posted here. On STP the styles are limited, and I would prefer to purchase them through STP given the great return policy. At the same time I am open to other suggestions for AE shoes. Anyone want to suggest the best all around AE for pairing with suits? I have to admit I am ignorant when it comes to footwear.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ezboy1000
Anyone want to suggest the best all around AE for pairing with suits? I have to admit I am ignorant when it comes to footwear.
Park Avenues are considered the official shoe of the forum.
wink.gif
But their last is very narrow and with balmorals (which is primarily what you should be wearing with suits), the fit is more critical. If possible, you should try on all the AE last boundary cases, so you'll be prepared to order shoes remotely when a deal presents itself - which if you're not willing to use eBay might not be all that often.
frown.gif
Other current AE models that would be good with suits: Byron, Chester, Dryden, Niles. And more controversally (see the archives): Hastings, Mora, Saxon, Westgate.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that bals will look better with suits. If you have a wide foot and high instep, keep in mind that, in general, American shoes are the most narrow, followed by English ones, while Italian shoes tend to be widest. If you need a EEE in AEs (and even that may not work with Park Aves), you can probably fit into EE Tramezzas like these http://cgi.ebay.com/New-630-FERRAGAM...QQcmdZViewItem much nicer than AE imo.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Park Avenues are considered the official shoe of the forum.
wink.gif

Sorry, Jared. As much as I'd like to back the views of a fellow British Columbian, I can't buy this.
wink.gif
(I know, I know, he was asking about A-E!!) Although A-Es are discussed a lot on this forum, it is the C&Js, EGs, JLobbs, Santonis, Sutor Mantellessis, Vass's, etc., to which most forumers seem to aspire. I own 8 pairs of A-Es, but wouldn't wear a single pair with a suit. I might wear my Concords and Sanfords with a very casual jacket/trousers outfit, but would turn to my British or Vass shoes for serious suit wear. As far as I can tell, A-E don't have a single elegant last, and their insistence on making all of their shoes with a 360-degree welt prevents--almost by definition--an elegant and sleek-looking shoe.

My advice to ezboy1000 would be to look into a pair of C&J Benchgrade shoes in their standard E-fitting. These can be found in good supply on eBay for below-discount prices, and, of course, at PLal for very reasonable discounted-retail prices. If the shoes are on the tight side, they could be stretched safely to about one letter of width wider (e.g., from E to EE). Wider oxfords (F- and G-fittings) can be found at Pediwear from Alfred Sargent, Grenson, and some other brands. PLal also stock Cheaney, which, I believe, come in wider width-fittings. There are other online suppliers like Bexley and Herringshoes that can provide English-style, Goodyear-welted oxfords (balmorals) at affordable prices, and in wider widths. And, of course, eBay has hundreds of shoes every day from British makers, many in the wider fittings. Brands like Alfred Sargent, Trickers, Church's, Grenson, Cheaney, are all well-represented on the Bay.

Edit: To be a little more specific, let's consider the C&J models Connaught, Hallam, and Bedford, all plain cap-toe balmorals, all available at P Lal, and all available in wider fittings. The Connaught is available in the wider F fitting in black or chestnut (a beautiful medium brown with a slight reddish tint) for about $315 USD. It's on the round-toe C&J 236 last, but is quite elegant in its own way. The Hallam, at $340 USD, is on the sleeker, tapered, and more square-toe 348 last and is available in the F fitting in black and their beechnut color, which looks like a dark brown in the catalog. Finally, the Bedford, on the round-toe 317 last (in G fitting) sells for $315 USD and is available in the very wide G fitting in black and chestnut. P Lal is a very reliable seller, and their prices are unbeatable, with very reasonable shipping charges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads