• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on a new watch

Concub1ne

Reaction score
After reading the OP my advice is to browse wus, tz etc for at least a few months before taking the plunge. Your tastes will develop quickly.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading the OP my advice is to browse wus, tz etc for at least a few months before taking the plunge. Your tastes will develop quickly.
Definitely agree with taking your time and browsing for a bit.

It should be something you LUV, and at that price it's definitely a bonus if you purchase it wisely and buy something that retains a good portion of what you spent to get it.

Last edited:

gknix

Reaction score
I think this is all very personal.
I assume you're not too enamored by any specific watch movement, and in that case, i think any respectable movement will do.

At that price range, tbh, I would look for 2nd hand watches as they give you a much better value and many more choices.
You could look at Glaschutte pano series, JLC, Breguet, Gramd Seiko.
If you love the sweeping hands, i would highly recommend you check out the Grand Seiko spring drive. They seconds hand is amazing as they move MUCH smoother than most movements thanks to their spring drive technology.

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you insist on an automatic, then you have only one really excellent option in a chronograph under 8k- the Zenith El Primero. If you're willing to forego the automatic movement in favor of a manual caliber, the speedy pro is always going to be a tough contender. Unless you're going to grab a vintage Navitimer, Breitling isn't worth your time IMO.

I do have to say that if I were you, I'd snap up an older Patek Calatrava if I had 8k to throw at a watch! Or a JLC Gentilhomme... or a Reverso... or any of the VC models that dip there... Droooool.

At the end of the day, it's pretty hard to spend 8k on a watch and get something you're disappointed with, but it's certainly possible to get the most possible awesome for your money.

EDIT: Another good automatic chrono (though not quite at the ZEP's level IMO) would be the IWC Pilot, which would fit the bill and budget.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads