• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice on a new slim boss suit

laguna9

Reaction score
Hi,

For my new job I am required to wear suits every day. I was measured last year in Bloomingdales and was told I am a 38 Short. The Armani suit that I tried and bought is a 38 Short and fits perfectly (all around the body).

I went into the Boss store today to buy a new suit for work, as they have a Sale on. Boss don't do Short Jackets, and after trying on a 38 Regular and 36 Regular, the staff there suggested that I fit a 36 Regular better.

The suit did fit comfortably. However it is a "slim" suit so I am not sure about the jacket length and how it looks overall.

I purchased it today and I am getting the pants and jacket altered slightly this week but I keep wondering if I did the right thing.

What are peoples opinions on the look, length and slim suit?

Thanks

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely hideous. Stop the alteration s and retrun it. That coat is far too short.

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as "hideous," but the coat is indeed too short, which isn't an alterable trait. I second the former.

laguna9

Reaction score
thanks. i wasn't sure when I bought it but I was persuaded by the 2 member of staff who were telling me that the size was just right.
I'll give them a call first thing in the morning. I did purchase it at 3pm today, so I can't imagine it went out to their tailor yet, I'm due to get it back Friday.

I hope they allow me to return it. Hugo Boss isn't a place that really takes things back.

I'll tell them that I want to stop the alteration because the jacket is too short. I could tell them to track down a jacket in 38R but then they'll just say that it won't fit me…perhaps I need a different suit

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score
Unless they suddenly stopped, Boss makes short jackets....which does you no good, as the regular is already too short. Unless you've altered it, I'm sure a return is possible. Lesson learned.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all are drama queens.......the jacket is not that short on him and there is no way you can tell from that pic.

OP.......try on a 38R and see if you like the difference. Also, which suit model is that? I think the James/Sharp would be a good starting point for you, although they have slimmer cuts as well.

Last edited:

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Y'all are drama queens.......the jacket is not that short on him and there is no way you can tell from that pic.

OP.......try on a 38R and see if you like the difference. Also, which suit model is that? I think the James/Sharp would be a good starting point for you, although they have slimmer cuts as well.

Incorrect. Stop giving out poor advice. You have no idea what you are talking about if we can't tell from the pic.. Way too short, the op looks to be dressing in his kid brothers clothes.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Incorrect. Stop giving out poor advice. You have no idea what you are talking about if we can't tell from the pic.. Way too short, the op looks to be dressing in his kid brothers clothes.

You cannot see the buttoning point or the sleeve length from that pic......but the jacket doesn't scream "I'm too short" as what being implied. It would be interesting to see the types of comments being made if the suit in question was Brooks Brothers instead of Boss.

Stop being a hater........do you have any experience with Boss?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jacket is too short. It clearly doesn't cover his ass and it doesn't even approach the the level of the pants' crotch. I do have experience with Boss before I knew better.

While SF does hate Boss (cheap, poorly made, etc), I don't think anyone is being a hater. The jacket is just too short.

As far as Brooks, post some pictures of Black Fleece and you'll get the exact same reaction.

Last edited:

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You cannot see the buttoning point or the sleeve length from that pic......but the jacket doesn't scream "I'm too short" as what being implied. It would be interesting to see the types of comments being made if the suit in question was Brooks Brothers instead of Boss.

Yes. I stopped buying it once I knew better. Regardless, this jacket is way too small.

Stop being a hater........do you have any experience with Boss?

sns23

Reaction score
Everybody here must like Steve Harvey suits down to their knees.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's worse is some poor shlub taking your bad advice and spending money based on it.

Great....so now the OP is a "poor schlub" and you don't even know the man?

In case you missed it......the point of this thread is to seek advice.......

Unless we get a pic of him with his arms to his side we cannot give him the answer he needs.......but he isn't about to jump off of a cliff as so many are implying.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Arm length isn't a great way to determine proper coat length; some folks have long monkey arms while others have stubby arms. We don't really look at jacket length in relation to arm length, we look at it with relation to height and torso/leg length. Hence the "a jacket, like a good lawyer, will always cover your ass" is the better rule of thumb.

Most of the time, the two are in line. But when they aren't, it's best to look at the ass rather than the arms.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads