• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on a gray staple suit/ crtique fit

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
This is the gray staple suit I have:
waywn42810.jpg

It is a 38R from Club Monaco. I am a 38S. I had the back taken in and the sleeves raised at the shoulder. I was told by Niidawg that the button stance is too high for my height (5'8). I am looking for a new gray staple suit. I would like something with high armholes, a low button stance, and flat front trousers. Any suggestions on where to look for a new suit and what else to do to improve fit?

I saw this on BS

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...s/IMG_7008.jpg
Its a 38R Polo suit for 265.

Does the button stance look too high for me?
Is it a nice suit, or should I just save for something in the future?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd keep that one and get the polo one as well.

It's tough to have too many solid colored suits.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Yeah, the button stance on that suit is awfully high. It almost looks like a 3 button without the bottom button. I actually really like most of Club Monaco's offerings, but that might be a dealbreaker for me. Other than that, it's a nice looking suit. The sleeves need to be slightly shortened, but that is a simple alteration.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Will the roll on the polo suit make the gorge look significantly lower? It looks high, similar to the one I already have. Lower button stance, deeper gorge, correct?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney
Will the roll on the polo suit make the gorge look significantly lower? It looks high, similar to the one I already have. Lower button stance, deeper gorge, correct?

Not always, but the Polo one is a three button, very different look. Gorge is where the lapel meets the collar, it has nothing to do with the buttoning point. I think the club monaco one you have is good, however the buttoning point, in my opinion is a bit on the high side and lapels are fashion-forward skinny. Polo would look much more classic. I would go for a bit more waist supression, slightly shorter sleeves and trousers on the club, though.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan-27
Yeah, the button stance on that suit is awfully high. It almost looks like a 3 button without the bottom button. I actually really like most of Club Monaco's offerings, but that might be a dealbreaker for me. Other than that, it's a nice looking suit. The sleeves need to be slightly shortened, but that is a simple alteration.

I found all the Club Monaco jackets I tried to have similarly high button stance, fairly built up shoulders, and pretty lifeless quarters; not for me. Still better than most you see around the city.

Could use a bit of waist suppression.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will try to find a tailor willing to do some waist suppression, the tailor I go to will only take in the back. Does the polo suit have lifeless quarters? Looks pretty similar to me.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'd keep that one and get the polo one as well.

It's tough to have too many solid colored suits.

+1

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I found all the Club Monaco jackets I tried to have similarly high button stance, fairly built up shoulders, and pretty lifeless quarters; not for me. Still better than most you see around the city.

Could use a bit of waist suppression.

How are you judging on waist suppression if this pic isnt head on and its profile sideways....

Golly some people. This suit looks great! Dont get tailor happy and decide to find minute mistakes.
NO this suit doesnt like like it could be a 3 button suit.

And for no tailoring on this jacket. You look quite smart in it!

Matt S

Reaction score
The suit's button stance is WAY off. The sleeves are still too long. The Polo suit would be a much better choice. It is a suit with classic proportions. Try buttoning both buttons. You can't follow the rule about not buttoning the bottom button if the buttons aren't in the right place.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Wow, that is a high button. :O +1 on try to button the bottom button. Wow, such a high button stance haha.

Looks like a good fit though. Sleeves shortened by .5 inch maybe

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Pull the trigger on BS polo suit, or save the money towards something better? Get the sleeves shortened on the high button stance suit, or stop dumping money into something that looks bad?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll say it again....both.

The one you have looks great and the Polo one should look great as well.

zerostyle

Reaction score
I'd keep the suit you have. Button stance might be a bit high, but I still think it looks quite good on you.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your current suit looks fine but I would buy the Polo if you think it will fit. Try wearing a spread collar shirt with your current suit which may make the button stance look lower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads