• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on a gray staple suit/ crtique fit

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet
How are you judging on waist suppression if this pic isnt head on and its profile sideways....

Golly some people. This suit looks great! Dont get tailor happy and decide to find minute mistakes.
NO this suit doesnt like like it could be a 3 button suit.

And for no tailoring on this jacket. You look quite smart in it!

I'm judging it by the fact that if it had proper waist suppression, you'd be able to see it in that slightly off front angle (I know this because I double checked using myself as a test).

Also I've tried on several CM jackets over the last year and they were generally boxy through the waist.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
So to get proper waist suppression i would need the tailor to put darts into the side of the jacket, and reshape the canvas?

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color blends in very nicely with the office fixtures.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney
This is the gray staple suit I have:
waywn42810.jpg

Let me be unequivocal. This suit makes you look 5 months pregnant. It will lead to baby showers, unwanted gifts and quizzical looks in four months when you do not bring the baby to the office. Avoid the embarrassment and get the other one.

Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney
Will the roll on the polo suit make the gorge look significantly lower? It looks high, similar to the one I already have. Lower button stance, deeper gorge, correct?

The gorge is the line of stitching where the collar meets the lapel. It is not the V-shape creater where the lapels meet above the button.

All that said - it's a good color suit, your tailor is competent and your post was on-point. Best of luck.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
I am attempting to buy the other suit. If not I will keep looking. Anyone with suggestions on where to get a gray suit besides j.crew and club monaco, please send me a PM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads