• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice on a first suit

jett

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on purchasing my first suit. I apologize in advance for my being a noob, I've been doing a bit of research but really know almost nothing about suits.

I'm thin and short and have had a really hard time finding any suits, I also hate everything and everyone at Mens Wearhouse, no luck at all there.

I really want a suit that fits me well, not quite tight but close, so I've been looking into getting something made to measure via the internet. I found mysuitshop.com which is based out of Thailand and seems to have really good prices and a huge amount of choises. Question #1 - has anyone here ever used them and if so what did you think? Anyone have other suggestions for online suits? I'm looking at sub-$500 w/shipping and I'm not in a rush.

Next: What types of suits look best on someone who is thin and short? I'm inclined toward something that is not loose at all, and I think I generally like an english cut suit best. I also kind of like the look of a 3-piece suit, but I think that maybe only old people or Brits wear them? I'm neither.

Please note that this is NOT for work, I'd get laughed at if I showed up to work in a suit. I'm looking for something that is stylish that can be worn out to nice clubs and to weddings. It would be cool if I had a suit that could work for a business setting (like maybe a future interview), but it's not hugely pressing. I'm looking for something black too, although maybe that's a fashion faux pas? (I read something somewhere about how black suits are garish).

Thanks in advance!

jett

Reaction score
another option...

I found another web-based company that makes made to measure suits, thinkasthievesla.com - they seem to only really have two choices, but I like them both - they fit the style I'm looking for fairly well, not quite english cut though I think. Anyone ever used them? How do they compare to mysuitshop.com? Clearly they have way less options, but I'm OK with that since it means I'll have less choices to **** up. Would their 3-button in black work for a wedding? once again, thanks in advance and my apologies for being a noob.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't do black. it sounds cool, but looks lame. Do read this thread about Thick as Thieves, which is run by a style forum member. Also, do a search for "first suit", your question comes up frequently and there's lots of advice.

buts eriously, don't do black.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two things: First, online made-to-measure is extremely tricky, even for those who know a lot about what they want from a suit. Jantzen, for example, makes suits, but won't make them for online customers. When you're starting out, I'd strongly suggest you go RTW -- either from a bricks-and-mortar store, or from an online source that accepts returns, like Sierra Trading Post.

Alternatively, you could take a gamble online with a second-hand suit from eBay. That, at least, would limit your financial risk. If you go that route, make sure you know your measurements, and go with a good-quality brand. I wouldn't drop more than $100 on the suit, pre-alterations. If it's a bust, you'll be out $100 or less, not $500, like with online MTM. And if it works out, you'll have plenty of money for alterations.

Second, please don't buy a black suit. Navy or charcoal, but not black. When I get married, I hope it will be a happy day for all, not one that requires funeral attire.

jett

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I've been looking through some stuff about thick as thieves here, it sounds like everyone has been very impressed with their MTM orders. That's what I'm leaning towards now. I've yet to find anything off the rack anywhere near $100, the cheapest suits I've seen were in the $200-$250 range and they looked like crap and were obviously poor quality even to my uneducated eye (loose threads, poorly attached plastic buttons, etc.). I really just can't find anything that looks right on me, nothing is tight enough and I end up looking like a little kid in an oversized suit. I know a good tailor can do a lot to improve that, but I'm skeptical about just how much they can "fix" a suit.

I appreciate the comments re: black - it's my favorite color so I try to get everything in black. I suppose charcoal is close enough, and more versatile so that's what I will go with.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't very clear right then. I don't think you'll find much for $100 in terms of full-priced RTW at most stores. But if you have a discount store like Filene's Basement near by, you might find something at the upper end of your price range.

One thing to bear in mind is that all the stuff you dislike about cheap RTW could show up on your doorstep from online MTM, so make sure you know what you're getting. (At least with Thick as Thieves, you'll have folks here vouching for the quality. And Get Smart seems to be doing it more as a labor of love than for big profits.)

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
I appreciate the comments re: black - it's my favorite color so I try to get everything in black. I suppose charcoal is close enough, and more versatile so that's what I will go with.

good choice. Doc's advice is worth considering (the part about a cheap ebay suit that you can use to get an idea of what your measurements are... you wont find anything in any store for $100, save possibly target) because made-to-measure can be a real risk. If you do go the online MTM route, definalt go to a tailor (not a dry-cleaner, but the fanciest tailor you can find) and ask him if he provides a "measuring service", which would be him measuring all your pertinent dimensions for a nominal fee (<$20). Don't order MTM without getting measured by someone wo really knows what they are doing.

jett

Reaction score
I see re: $100 - I've looked in a variety of discount stores with no luck. I've been searching on and off for a good 6 months. I guess I am very picky, one of the reasons I'm excited about finding the world of online made to measure suits, and especially thick as thieves, since I really like the look of their suits and it's cool to know the guy who makes them cares enough about his craft to hang out on this forum. I have a sport coat that needs some work so if I find a tailor for it I'll see if they'll measure me up so I'm all set to order online (if I go that route).

I will definitely check out whats out there on ebay, I'm not a big ebay fan but I guess if I find something I like for only $100 I'd be willing to go for it and then sacrifice it to a tailor in the hope I get lucky with the fit I'm looking for.

For those of you who have done the whole MTM thing - did the first time go horribly wrong? It seems like I'm being strongly advised to not go this route, but I'm not completely sure I understand why - worst case the suit doesn't fit me right and I have to get it tailored, right? How is that any different than something off the rack?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those of you who have done the whole MTM thing - did the first time go horribly wrong? It seems like I'm being strongly advised to not go this route, but I'm not completely sure I understand why - worst case the suit doesn't fit me right and I have to get it tailored, right? How is that any different than something off the rack?

The key difference in my mind is that with RTW, you know what you're getting. You can see the fit, feel the cloth, know whether it's comfortable or stiff. I haven't tried Thick as Thieves, but the discussion here seems very favorable. That's an excellent sign. But I've seen pics of a lot of suits from other online MTM services that weren't very nice at all. Some of those suits couldn't be saved -- if the fusing is stiff and unpleasant, you're stuck with it; if the jacket is way too short, there's nothing to be done; if the cloth is poor, you won't know until it arrives; if the chest is too tight, you've pretty much wasted your money. With RTW, you know what you're getting. You buy a suit that fits pretty well, then have it altered so it fits very well. It's less risk, ultimately.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worst case the suit doesn't fit me right and I have to get it tailored, right?

not necessaily. If the shoulders are too wide or too narrow, you're screwed. Ditto the chest. If you get functional buttons on the cuff and the sleeve is too long, its a very expensive operation. If that sleeve is too short, its a lost cause. If the jacket is too long by more than 2 inches (some would even say one), it can't be shortened without messing up the balance of pockets and button stance. If you mis-measure and it's too small at the waist or hips, there's nothing that can be done (beyond a point, most suits & pants have a couple inch allowance to let out, but if its 3 inches off, you're outta luck).

There are a lot of variables, its easy to botch. Get Smart is currently doing my very first MTM suit, and I'm confident it'll come out well. But I definately wouldn't have it done by someone whom I didn't know and have a rapport with, and and whose sense of fabrics and quality I didn't trust and whose eye for styleI hadn't vetted at length in the WAYWN threads.

jett

Reaction score
well I have spent some time digging through ebay - if a black suit is such a faux pas why are there so many of them for sale? it seems like a good 70% of all suits on ebay are black! Apparently my suit-ignorance is very common? I do love black.

re: Get Smart/thick as thieves - I read a bunch more about all of that and saw pictures of various finished suits, if all else fails I'm pretty convinced he can provide almost exactly what I am looking for so long as I don't totally **** up on measurements or something. I really like his 3-button suit and I haven't seen anything quite as close to what I'm looking for, it's hard to say no to that.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well I have spent some time digging through ebay - if a black suit is such a faux pas why are there so many of them for sale? it seems like a good 70% of all suits on ebay are black! Apparently my suit-ignorance is very common? I do love black.

ever wonder how they made it to ebay in the first place?

The Grapist

Reaction score
If you want a suit for clubs/nightlife/etc, then there's no problem with going for black. But in a business setting, it's a bit of a no no.

That being said, I just got my black one-button Thick as Thieves suit on Saturday. I just need to get the pants altered a bit, but it blows much more expensive suits out of the water.

Just remember guys, he's NOT getting a suit for business attire. It's for going out and clubs and stuff. And I assume he's rather slim, considering what he said he was looking for as far as fit.

Absolutely nothing wrong with black in that case.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Grapist
If you want a suit for clubs/nightlife/etc, then there's no problem with going for black. But in a business setting, it's a bit of a no no.

That being said, I just got my black one-button Thick as Thieves suit on Saturday. I just need to get the pants altered a bit, but it blows much more expensive suits out of the water.

Just remember guys, he's NOT getting a suit for business attire. It's for going out and clubs and stuff. And I assume he's rather slim, considering what he said he was looking for as far as fit.

Absolutely nothing wrong with black in that case.

but he wants versatility. he mentioned weddings and possible future interviews, IIRC, so he'd get lost more mileage from a charcoal, don't you think?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
but he wants versatility. he mentioned weddings and possible future interviews, IIRC, so he'd get lost more mileage from a charcoal, don't you think?

Absolutely. Charcoal is black with wheels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads