Advice needed - what pocket square with this tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SilverSurfer, Apr 25, 2006.

1. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Senior member

I'm going to be wearing this tie (satin white with navy stripes) with a white shirt and charcoal suit to an event soon and I'd like to buy a pocket square to go with it (I've never, ever had one). What color/material should I get? White satin as well? There would still be some contrast since the tie has navy.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

If you take the linen route, I'd go for a plain white or white with light blue eding. Silk...get a blue in a lighter shade. Never match navy with navy (or any colors, for that matter) when it comes to tie/PS combos.

3. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Senior member

If you take the linen route, I'd go for a plain white or white with light blue eding. Silk...get a blue in a lighter shade. Never match navy with navy (or any colors, for that matter) when it comes to tie/PS combos.

So you don't think white silk is a good call?

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't like white silk squares, and I agree with connemara that a white linen (or cotton) would be best. I'd avoid white with a blue edge, as it would look too matchy-matchy.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I would vote for white linen as well. I have joined erstwhile SF member cuffthis in generally avoiding solid silk squares. Since this is your first pocket square white linen is an excellent way to go.

6. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Before I begin my reply, one caveat: I'm Mr. Wacky Pocket Square Man, so I'm likely to opt for a pocket square that has very little to do with the rest of my outfit, a square that may touch on one of the colors in my tie, but have the remainder of the colors skew off in some unexpected way.

So, my reply: why not something a bit more splashy than a plain white square--something like this offering from Paul Stuart:

http://www.paulstuart.com/item_template.cfm?ItemId=1565

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think the white linen or cotton option is good but is by far the easiest and safest one (and I confess I would probably go that safe route as well [​IMG] ). If I wanted to try something a little more risquÃ[​IMG] and less expected, I would probably go with something like:

(a) a tightly patterned blue/white or blue/grey square (matching color scheme but not the pattern or pattern size). Ideally, a prince-of-wales or a gingham - but here's the only quick pic I found:

[​IMG][​IMG]

or

(b) an orange of some sort (I think it could look great with the white shirt, charcoal suit and that tie)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Since this is your first pocket square purchase I would also keep in mind versatility so you can transfer it easily to other ensembles as you build your collection.

Take a look at Ben Silver clearance, Mulberrywood and FIH for some good options. You might want to PM chorse and see if he has any more Polo squares, too.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Before I begin my reply, one caveat: I'm Mr. Wacky Pocket Square Man, so I'm likely to opt for a pocket square that has very little to do with the rest of my outfit, a square that may touch on one of the colors in my tie, but have the remainder of the colors skew off in some unexpected way.

So, my reply: why not something a bit more splashy than a plain white square--something like this offering from Paul Stuart:

http://www.paulstuart.com/item_template.cfm?ItemId=1565

I very much like your suggestion

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I very much like your suggestion

Me too. Great eye! Here it is:

[​IMG]

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

VG -

I really like that PS pocket square, great suggestion!

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

My philosophy on pocket squares is usually to wear either white, or a different shade of the main color in my tie. So with that tie I might wear something like gray or something with a lot of gray in it. But, that's just me.

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

A plain white linen handkerchief should be your first pocket square.

15. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I'm of like mind with Vintage Gent. I opt for the contrast solution, i like the orange range. I also think something in a sandy colored hue might work, not stark color, but a subtle warm color to contrast.