Advice needed to start a new tie collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Feb 3, 2005.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I need a new collection as the ties that I have are just not up to scratch.

With suits, it is generally agreed that solids, stripes, and checks in subtle appearance are the staples. With shirts, a mix of whites, blues, stripes, and checks.

What about ties? Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well..Ummmm...Ahhhh... Never mind... [​IMG]

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Jon, Jon... [​IMG] What sort of budget are we working with here? The best of the best are seven (or four) fold ties, which are offered by various luxury brands, as well as FIH (link conveniently provided above) and also Carlo Franco. Now it seems your main question is what are the basic designs of ties. Solids, of course, in various textures to provide interest, stripes (often called repp ties because of the silk weave used), neats (small repeating designs) and paisleys would make up a classic offering of tie designs. There will be various suggestions of makers, I'm sure. I will add that I generally buy high end ties (alas, not 7 or 4 fold) at deep discount on sale or at consignment and thrift. Amazing ties can be found very cheap, but you have to learn what you're looking for and spend some time doing it.

4. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Aaaack... Dont... Listen... to him... For Goodness sakes... Can't you see he is a FROG?? [​IMG]

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Great solid from Carlo Franco: [​IMG] And stripe from FIH: [​IMG] Neat from Drake's: [​IMG] Paisley seven fold by Robert Talbott: [​IMG]

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

The word is "Freedom", you commie. Richard James makes fantastic ties. Barneys/Bergdorfs sell them in the US.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

No. This is a frog... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

That is most helpful. Thanks. With white and blue shirts, tie match is easier than with stripes and checks. Any rule of thumb to match ties to the latter two?

9. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I don't think there is a real good "rule of thumb." Striped ties look good with some striped shirts, and some don't. You can sometimes wear a dot or neat pattern with a check shirt and sometimes not. I guess my rule of thumb would be that solid ties almost always look good with a patterned shirt; and that with a smaller scale pattern neats look better, and with a larger scale pattern you can do stripes more easily.

I'm not into rules like "no repp stripe ties with checked shirts." I don't think it's a good rule.

10. marc237

marc237 Senior member

If you but ask, Jon will do a lovely and extensive job of matching his collection to your collection. He will pick ties that he thinks work best (his judgment is v.good) and will let you pick and choose. Excellent service.

The question on matching ties to patterned shirts, one rule of thumb is to avoid having the pattern in the tie be at or about the same size as the patternin the shirt. A variation creates visual interest.

While I am not endorsing their ties, Charles Tyrwhitt's website often features some interesting matches of ties and shirts.

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

If you have trouble choosing a tie to go with a certain pattern of shirt, look through (as suggested above) CT's website, and Hilditch's mail catalog. I know more than one person keeps them around for this very purpose.

Personally, I like solid ties with a woven texture, and also ties with very small dot patterns.

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

My understanding of general pattern matching is:

- the scale of the patterns should be the same for differing patterns
    - the scale of the patterns should be different for the same patterns

In other words, if you're wearing a pinstripe suit, striped shirt, and rep tie, the scale of the stripes should be noticeably different or you'll look like a barber pole or something.

Wearing the same scale with differing patterns is perhaps a less stringent guideline, although it can definitely look a little off if one wears, say, a large-stripe rep tie with a small checked shirt.

For this reason, solid shirts and ties are easy to coordinate but demonstrate less sophistication.

dan

13. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Alan, you better hide that from Ernest, he is sensitive you know.

14. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

(FIHTies @ Feb. 03 2005,08:26) Aaaack... Â Dont... Listen... to him... For Goodness sakes... Can't you see he is a FROG??
    No. This is a frog... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Funniest thing I've seen in quite a while. Thank you, Alan. Tom

15. FFW

FFW Active Member

Baldessarini offered a while ago a few ties of cashmir. I didn't buy them because I dont wear ties on a regular basis. But if I would I would buy something like that.