• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice needed please! - Mens Sport Jacket

MV Owner

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would apprecaite advice on purchasing a Sport Jacket.

To try to give an idea on sizing I have taken the following measurements from a suit jacket that fits me nicely. Perhaps someone can advise on whether these dimensions are appropriate to a Sport Jacket. I do seem to have odd sizing requirements which are:-

Armpit to Armpit = 20.5"
Total height measured down back = 30.5"
Shoulder to cuff = 24"
Chest = 40"
Shoulder to Shoulder seam = 18"

I would appreciate advice on any reputable brands who typically supply jackets of these sizes.

Thanks

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is “chest” of 40” the jacket measurement or your own body measurement? If the former, this should be the same as twice the armpit-to-armpit. Sounds like you’re a standard 38R.

MV Owner

Reaction score
OK guys, apologies for the last reply. The jacket is a 40 regular but I did have around 1" taken off the cuffs. Perhaps I was unclear in my first question. What I am looking for is advice on what sporting jacket maker would typically produce a jacket with these dimensions.

MV Owner

Reaction score
OK guys, apologies for the last reply. The jacket is a 40 regular but I did have around 1" taken off the cuffs. Perhaps I was unclear in my first question. What I am looking for is advice on what sporting jacket maker would typically produce a jacket with these dimensions.
and whether i should vary any dimensions for a sporting jacket (should it be shorter in length than a suit for example or looser across chest?)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chest measurement of the jacket does not correspond to the size of the jacket. Was the jacket taken in at the chest? Normally a 40R jacket is designed to fit someone with a chest that measures 40" around. There has to be some ease in the chest so that the jacket is not too tight. This is usually in the neighbourhood of 3" or so. If the jacket really measures 20.5" pit to pit that is 41" around, or only an inch of ease. What is your chest measurement?

Just as another reference point, I have a 37" chest and I wear 36R-38R jackets that measure around 39.5-40.5" at the chest.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
You are a fairly standard 40R, here are a few suggestions from our online store, which would fit you. As you can see, if you click on the pictures, we offer one of the largest selections of handmade tailoring, at outlet prices. PM please if you have any questions.

BELVEST_Made_In_Italy_Hand_Made_Navy_Blue_Wool_Blazer_Jacket_EU_50_NEW_US_40_1_1024x1024.jpg
BELVEST_Made_In_Italy_Hand_Made_Navy_Blue_Wool_Blazer_Jacket_EU_50_NEW_US_40_5_1024x1024.jpg

Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Prince_Of_Wales_Wool-Silk-Linen_Blazer_Jacket_NEW_1_1024x1024.jpg
Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Prince_Of_Wales_Wool-Silk-Linen_Blazer_Jacket_NEW_4_1024x1024.jpg

Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Navy_Blue_Windowpane_Wool_Jacket_42_NEW_52_2_1024x1024.jpg
Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Navy_Blue_Windowpane_Wool_Jacket_42_NEW_52_6_1024x1024.jpg

Sartora_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Blue_Windowpane_Wool_Blazer_Jacket_EU_50_NEW_US_40_1_1024x1024.jpg
Sartora_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Blue_Windowpane_Wool_Blazer_Jacket_EU_50_NEW_US_40_5_1024x1024.jpg

MV Owner

Reaction score
guys, thanks for all your help and assistance. Sorry I have been slow to respond at times but I am very grateful! Many thanks

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just be aware that the measurements of the jacket you posted are closer to a typical 38R than a size 40R.

MV Owner

Reaction score
OK thanks Breakaway. Ill have a research and come back to you! Cheers

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.