• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed on buying suits...

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregl6981
Let me clarify: I'm not a lawyer, just an analyst. I'm just out of college, paying sky-high rent, so 2K seems like a pretty good budget for me.

I am not in your situation, and have not been there exactly. furthermore, I'm quite a bit older so that I may not understand how firms now treat employees. However, the firm thought highly of you , or they would not have extended the invitation for employment.

I would recommend that you approach the situation in this way.

Go see the person who hired you - human resources. Tell them you have no money and a bag of debts that would choke a mule. Also tell them you want to dress in a manner that would represent the firm as you should, without being ostentatious. Describe your ONE suit that was enough for your previous situation - STUDENT. They should get the picture.

Now here is where you can really demonstrate your abilities for yoursilef and - later - for the firm - as an analyst and negotiator. Be subtle.

Since you are lucky enough to be in NYC - no better stage of Dante's Hell - you can find LS Clothing that will make you suits for about $700. You need $3,000 worth. Tell them that. Tell them youhave no money. Ask them to pay half. You will pay for them up front - get credit at the rate of $500 a month added to your EXPENSE reimbursement. No hickey for anyone. Demonstate your ability to be flexible - you just want them to pay!!!

BTW, I would think a bit about your choices. No disaster - just that you may be able to do better.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Charley, it fooled me too, jose bumped a thread from a year ago here, greg-the-analyst hasnt posted since July last year. good advice for someone else though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads