Advice needed on buying suits...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregl6981, Jun 21, 2005.

1. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The one most important evaluation you can make: how well does the tailor's work fit your father?

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I'm in a bit of the same situation, except I live in Asia and have access to cheaper tailors (but no good suiting material), but $2000 is even more of a stretch for me. How exactly do you evaluate the quality of suits and sport coats? I've asked about this a couple of times before, but haven't really figured it out yet. For example, my father has some suits here made by a local tailor who's considered high end for my city, but I have no idea how to evaluate them. I don't even have any idea how to take useful photos of them to ask people to help me evaluate them.
    round n round she goes, where she stops.... jose, just buy this and take it to your dad's tailor. I have the same one, you will be happy, i guarantee it.

3. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

I think the idea of buying 4 suits around the same price is good. Having 5 suits in total will help avoid too much wear and tear on your suits and give you some variety in what you wear.

The one problem with discount shopping (C21, FB, etc.) is that it can be hard to get the staples (ex. navy suit) on discount but you are ideally located to get great deals. Try and stick to what you need and pass on the blue Etro with lime green pinstripes, that is one size too big but is on sale for $100.

Before you start buying stuff on ebay, make sure you know your measurements. Sizes vary greatly between different companies.

4. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Can we agree to start new threads instead of dragging up the ones from pre-crash? There will be much less confusion.

Jose-when do you go to Boston? If you have time, get one suit from a Manila tailor, evaluate fit, and then get however many more you need. Fit is king--if you're happy with the way you look in it, then it's well tailored. After that you can check for fineness of stitching. Same thing goes for this that went for your shirts--don't expect Savile Row quality for super cheap.

Tom

5. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

I think you need to hunt a little to find good suits at this price. I also wouldn't count out ebay. You do need someone to take good measurements though.

6. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

Call my tailor. For $2,000, you can get 4 suits easily and a few shirts ta boot!

Michael's Custom Clothes
    Wardrobe Consultant
    13757 Ventura Blvd.,
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
    877/636-7848
    www.suitmaker.com

and he travels all over the country - call and find out when he will be in your area. Suits are made in Hong Kong and arrive in 6 weeks. I have 10 of them so far.

7. mikeber

mikeber Senior member

Call my tailor. For $2,000, you can get 4 suits easily and a few shirts ta boot!

Michael's Custom Clothes
    Wardrobe Consultant
    13757 Ventura Blvd.,
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
    877/636-7848
    www.suitmaker.com

and he travels all over the country - call and find out when he will be in your area. Suits are made in Hong Kong and arrive in 6 weeks. I have 10 of them so far.

Dirk, does your tailor cater to Mr. Jack Horner as well?

8. dirk diggler

come again? I am afraid the joke is lost on me.

9. mikeber

mikeber Senior member

10. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

What about Bluefly.com?

11. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I think they fit great on him, since his suits all look good on me and we had similar builds, but I'm not sure if the shoulders are what you call puckered. This is a tailor who thinks fusing is more modern although he offers canvassing, and he doesn't do functional buttonholes, unless I think you ask.

[email protected] already pointed me to Howard though I have no access to Paypal. If I had a couple of sport coats made, what are the best selections from Howard for that? Something in gray and then something else?

12. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Gray, striped or solid, does not make the best sport coats. Go for some nice patterns. Along with a navy blue blazer, of course.

13. dirk diggler

gotcha![​IMG] Hey - It was a long day at work and too many briefs to review and edit. My bad

14. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I think they fit great on him, since his suits all look good on me and we had similar builds, but I'm not sure if the shoulders are what you call puckered. This is a tailor who thinks fusing is more modern although he offers canvassing, and he doesn't do functional buttonholes, unless I think you ask. [email protected] already pointed me to Howard though I have no access to Paypal. If I had a couple of sport coats made, what are the best selections from Howard for that? Something in gray and then something else?
    why no paypal? anyhow, Howard is a seller that a lot of us on here can vouch for, I would have no reservations about paying him Western Union instead

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member