• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed on bright chinos.

LewisLaw

Reaction score
Hello there,

I posted this query in the 'men's clothing' section, but I feel it is more appropriate here.

The other day I purchased two pairs of chinos from Tommy Hilfiger. The first pair are turquoise and the second pair are a red colour. I love the colours, but I just wanted some advice on what other people make of them. Are they maybe too loud?. Also, do you think I should wear them with, or without the jacket?

I have attached some pictures below.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2rfgg2b.jpg

x3blfo.jpg

2quqird.jpg

24wylxw.jpg

modguls

Reaction score
I think the brighter coloured trousers look far better without certain types of jackets. Included in these are definitely striped ones, and those with a pattern. A plain jacket would look great here. Any matching shirt without a jacket also works. Maybe consider a less 'busy' shirt.

Dapp

Reaction score
I think they're ok by themselves, but I don't know how I feel about the whole outfit. The red ones in the first picture didn't seem to fit that well though.

LewisLaw

Reaction score
What colour jacket would you recommend? And what type of shirt would you suggest? Maybe a white one?

LewisLaw

Reaction score
The red ones are the same size and style as the turquoise. Maybe it was just down to how I hurriedly put them on. I still have the receipts so I could make take them back and get something which isn't as 'loud'?

jmaudi0

Reaction score
i see nothing wrong with colorful pants but the fact that you are questioning them so much probably isn't a good sign. if you aren't confident in them, you most likely won't wear them enough to justify the cost....

LewisLaw

Reaction score
Hmmm, I think I just need to make the jump and wear them out and about. Hopefully then the confidence will follow. I really do love the colours and whenever I see someone wearing them I do think to myself 'wow, I do like that look'. I just need to find tops that will go with them. So you suggest less busy shirts. Would a polo go with them?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

dickenshero

Reaction score
I personally think that bright colored chinos should be worn slim. Something about loose fitting colored chinos that makes me gag.

Also don't ever wear anything striped with them unless it's a subtle striped T-shirt or sweater.

Just my 2 pennies.

EDIT: I wear white, grey, and white/navy striped shirts & sweaters with my Red chinos, I also wear brown boots/shoes with them FWIW

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A not loud patterned shirt usually works. A polo shirt can be a good option, because of options such as a contrast collar that help keep attention near the face instead of on the pants.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love "loud" pants. I wore some yellow chinos today. I have others in red, orange, and weird patterns. I've worn them with anything from polos to casual/dress shirts with/without jackets. Pictures are on my blog if you want to search through and see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics