• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed: losing some weight in legs

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given your training background and assuming that you've spent a decent amount of time in the weight room already, I think there'll be little chance of you gaining any lean mass if you're on a cut (ie. caloric deficit).

If you're going to clean up your diet and move to a moderate caloric deficit (500 cals below maintenance etc.) the calories for packing on new muscle are simply not there, so you shouldn't worry about cardio building you some monster hammies or a major quad sweep. Although I'm not an expert, I surmise that the demands of cardio work on the muscle tissue (not HIIT) are not similar as weight training, so they shouldn't lead to hypertrophy in the same manner.

Just modify your diet and add in strength training and cardio as per necessary, get the flab off and see where you're at then. Unfortunately adipose tissue is catabolized fairly evenly around the body, meaning that "spot reduction" is basically impossible.
I guess you could skip lower body work completely (no squats, leg press, or the like), but I hesitate to give that advice knowing how useful lower body exercises are in developing, say, core strength.

greasypeanut

Reaction score
l2 love wider leg jeans. if ur legs are purely muscle than ur outta luck.

and it seems u might be able to lose more weight, just by going off ur height and waist. u seem to have a pretty big waist. im 5 8 173lbs but my waist is only 31inches. i too suffer from not being able to wear diors, 21cms in my case.

a2_hennessy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greasypeanut
l2 love wider leg jeans. if ur legs are purely muscle than ur outta luck.

and it seems u might be able to lose more weight, just by going off ur height and waist. u seem to have a pretty big waist. im 5 8 173lbs but my waist is only 31inches. i too suffer from not being able to wear diors, 21cms in my case.

Yeah, I have a pretty big waist. I don't think that can be changed -- I have absolutely zero fat around my waistline, and it's straight bone beneath the skin.

Thanks for the advice, TrH! I just wanted to make sure that running isn't going to build me even larger legs, as opposed to trimming down whatever fat I might have. I know spot reduction isn't possible, but that's fine. I have a small amount of flab over my stomach that I wouldn't mind getting rid of either!

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3-letter athlete changes his fitness goals to fit into Dior jeans. Goddammit, Styleforum.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
3-letter athlete changes his fitness goals to fit into Dior jeans. Goddammit, Styleforum.

lol yeah.

I'm on a cut and i must say i'll enjoy the way clothes fit me for it, but the main aim is to get where i want to be in terms of looking good naked...

at 5'8", 160lbs, you must have quite a high fat content to be 34inch waist. Just cut heaps and your clothes will look better.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, you must be holding more fat than you realize as i a m 5'7- 190lbs and have a 31 inch waist. also i am not pure muscle and could stand to lose a few pounds around my midsection.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't spot reduce fat, if you could, most people would look pretty ******* stupid with shredded abs and arms and flabby everywhere else. The only way to lose fat in your legs is to lose fat everywhere else.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A large waist line doesn't necessarily mean he is fat. People do have wider hips than some. I'm fairly wide hipped myself. I'll never be able to achieve the big V look most guys go for.

jillyronald

Reaction score
Try to do not take more fat foods. And try to do daily exercise, it will helps you to loosing your weight. Daily exercise, yoga and oil massage with olive oil was good to reduce loosing weight of legs, But it effects only if you do it regularly.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
squat your heart out

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
A large waist line doesn't necessarily mean he is fat. People do have wider hips than some. I'm fairly wide hipped myself. I'll never be able to achieve the big V look most guys go for.
although you are correct, you can combat this by making your upper back and shoulders larger thus creating the v shape most strive for

princedlight

Reaction score
I like to suggest you go for the walking and do the cycling . I make your legs strong and the lose the fat from the legs .As well as eat health and low carbohydrate food .

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bind ur feet like china woman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads