• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed - keep or sell

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up a pair of older (perhaps vintage) blucher boots, as referred to in an earlier thread. They're captoe boots, calf leather, goodyear-welted, and in very good shape for their age. Not quite as sleek as the C&J Villiers, but then again they aren't $800, either. Anyhow.... My intention was to get these stretched (I'm a 9.5 D, and these are just a little tight in the toes, though I can walk in the them without pain), but after looking at them again I wonder whether these would go with a suit. That's the dilemma, because I want boots, and until I can afford bal boots these would be stand-ins. So, the question: If you were me, would you get these stretched and wear them, or sell them? Would these go with a suit once polished, etc.?
003-1.jpg
004-1.jpg
005-1.jpg
006-1.jpg
007.jpg
008-2.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't look like they'd go with a suit to me. Nice boots though.

stormin10

Reaction score
I would keep them however I can't see them going with a suit

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Except for the leather soles those look like old military boots.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker

I see what you mean, but they were made for civvie street (the inside reads, "Ritchie Shoes for Men - Sanitized") But yeah, I had some difficulty imagining them with a suit. Jeans, yes.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker

This. No way with a suit. Wouldn't bother stretching them either, when you can pick up a pair of Doc's for cheap that actually fit OOTB.

emptym

Reaction score
They're not perfect, but they're very nice. Polish them up and see how they look.

If I needed boots, be happy with these and keep them a year or two until I'd saved enough to get better ones. Then I'd give these away.

Jamesyu26

Reaction score
It doesn't go with a suit. Plus you have to stretch them to fit. I'll say you sell them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads