• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed for shoes

BrownieElf

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I got divorced around a year ago, and never paid attention to how I looked. I bought whatever cheap jeans i could find...heck i didn't even know there were different types (low rise, mid waist), and t-shirts.

Since then i've lost 83 pounds and i've found that i like to dress well (at least by my old standards)

Most of the time I wear low rise bootcut jeans. I have levi 527's and a pair from express. Most are dark denim, some have spots that are faded in places.

I am usually wearing t-shirts (mostly light green, grey, black...alot of earth tones), but i am slowly building up some button down dress shirts too. I have a dark navy fitted one from express, and one i bought from nordstrom. I also like the brown leather jacket look, although its a winter jacket so it will have to be replaced.

My question is this. Shoes.

I have the following.

Steve Madden captyre -- these are black, and i wear them alot...i like the look, and they seem to go with everything.

Steve Madden sticklr http://www.shopstyle.com/product/ste...ssed/231140216
these I can never seem to wear, i don't know if they are too shiny, but they just don't seem right to me. I wanna like them but i don't...

and some brown rockport's it says leather upper they are more of a round toe. These are comfortable as hell, I still wear them some.

I really like the look of brown, and i talked to a salesman who had on some to boot newyork oxford wingtip shoes that looked cool as hell...those are alittle out of my price range though.

I was looking at these http://www.dsw.com/shoe/mercanti+fiorentini+men's+wingtip+oxford?prodId=207892

and i really like the look, i'm just not sure if they will go well with what i currently have (mostly bootcut blue denim) and some light black straight leg jeans from apt 9 and express.

I also have a cream colored suit that i just bought from express.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've read a ton of forum posts, and it seems like one person says there are certain rules...another says no rules....others say go with what you like...no brown after 6...

Alittle confusing for a guy that was shopping at sam's club a few years ago.

Thoughts?

djan

Reaction score
I think you'll need dayton service boots.

BrownieElf

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of boots....are you saying that because they are bigger, or because i have bootcut jeans?

Are there options that are not boots? Honestly i don't even like having to lace up shoes, but those are wicked looking. I love being able to slip on those black maddens and go.

I have very big calves, so most straight leg jeans tend to be tight, but maybe its just the brands i've tried.

BrownieElf

Reaction score
WTF? really?

I'm just asking simple questions, trying to get a handle on this stuff.

Send me $670 and i'll buy a pair...they look sweet too.

You did read the part where i'm divorced right? I'm more concerned with advice on types of shoes. Is there some kind of hard and fast rule that if you wear boot-cut, that you have to wear boots?

ramp

Reaction score
tCp90.gif

triumphman

Reaction score
Buy what you like. In honesty the shoes that people will recommend on this forum will be $300+. If you want some cheap good quality shoes, search eBay

BrownieElf

Reaction score
lol...i'm no expert but that jacket is out of style.

BrownieElf

Reaction score
I understand that...and honestly i don't have a problem with someone recommending something i can't afford....thats my fault for not putting an obvious price point.

I went and bought those oxfords. I really like them. If i can't wear them with the jeans thats fine. If i need a different type (straight leg) then maybe i'll get some. I'm sure i can wear them with my suit, and i picked up a few pairs of chino dockers. Figure i can mix some dress shirts in and be good for a few outfits.

I did a ton of searches last night, and they brought up old forum posts talking about wingtip oxfords and jeans. Some posters recommended suede shoes. The point was that there were conflicting opinions, so i joined to get a better answer.

I'm not looking for someone to say "buy brand x"
I'm looking more for what types of stuff goes with what. If boots are my best option then i can find a pair more in my price range.

For example.

If someone says you never wear a shoe like that wingtip in my first post with bootcut jeans....i can respect that. Or it might be that i have to wear straight leg, and wear a blazer with a button down.

I don't know. When i see a look i like i'll go with it.

ramp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Buy what you like. In honesty the shoes that people will recommend on this forum will be $300+. If you want some cheap good quality shoes, search eBay

If he buys what he likes he'll end up getting...well look at his first post. He came here to get stylish and look better.

Originally Posted by BrownieElf
lol...i'm no expert but that jacket is out of style.

Nice catch mate.

Have a look at this thread if you haven't already. It should give you some ideas. I'm not a fan of the shoes you posted. I think for both jeans and your cream-colored suit, you'll want something less formal, maybe slightly lighter color.

What's your price range?

edit: I was too late
ffffuuuu.gif

vespajg

Reaction score
Cutting through the smart ass replies, I think the advice given above about going with what you like is good. Since you're new at this, I would temper that advice by suggesting that you give it some thought - look on the internet, browse through some catalogs and magazines - and then go into a store with some ideas about what you like and ask the staff to help you out. Go to a reputable place with a wider variety of looks, i.e., Nordstrom, etc. A store like that will have several departments that cover more demographics and they will typically have a very helpful staff. The small independent boutiques that are mostly favored here, while great, will likely be too expensive and have a more limited selection for someone that is just starting out like yourself (although they can be a good source for inspiration). Figure out what you like - preppy, conservative, progressive, slim, baggy, urban, workwear - whatever you can find to describe your style. Even if you haven't developed one yet, there have got to be looks or styles that you are drawn to...

Then, start with the basics and go from there. For instance, select a pair or two of shoes that will go with several different looks - with chinos, jeans, etc. Build your wardrobe from there. As for your question re wingtips with boot cut jeans - you'll just have to try some on and see how it looks. Develop your style...

And congrats on the weight loss - sounds like you're making an effort to improve your life - something we should all aspire too...

BrownieElf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramp
If he buys what he likes he'll end up getting...well look at his first post.
lol8[1].gif
that bad huh

ramp,

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'm going to check it out at work tomorrow, and i'll go from there. Maybe i'll even try and get a link to the actual suit i have for the color to see what you think of them with the suit i have.

Are there any boots similar to those ones that were posted that have zippers to get them off quick? I live in Cleveland OH and during the winter it sucks every time i go in and out...i usually wear those rockports.

price point is probably around 120 bucks.

vespajg,

thanks...i'm not really sure if i have a style. Is dressing bad-ass to piss off the ex a style?
smile.gif

gonna review that thread like ramp suggested and maybe the one showing what everyone is wearing today for ideas....I'm all over the map....those military jackets look cool too...time to do some homework

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, blunt and to the point.

1. Those steve maddens are ******* garbage and look horrible.
2. Boot cut jeans are absolutely whack
3. Don't drop a **** ton of money on clothes that you're just going to end up returning (I know from experience) because you're not sure what aesthetic you're going for right now. You admitted you're just now really caring about your appearance.
4. Seriously, just glance the forum for WEEKS and really start to develop a look and see what brands you like. Then start piecing together a couple of things here and there.

/thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads