• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed for a shortie

Empire

Reaction score
I think the ralfs are too big. If i read correctly then it looks like you sized up. Sizing down or maybe buying true to size would give you a better fit with ralfs. The back pockets look to low and they are too loose which makes your legs look shorter. A smaller size will mean you can wear the jeans a bit higher, which combined with the slimmer leg will make you look a bit taller

ohmyamoose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatuknowaboutthat
This is a great thread for us short folk. I'm 5'4 140 lbs. For me, tops fit pretty good but jeans and pants give me trouble. Check these regular ralf dry greycast nudies out, they are 31x34 and I've been wearing these for about two weeks. My normal size (Abercrombie, Levis) is 30x30. These fit pretty loose and the inseam is wayyy to long so I triple cuff these and sometimes stack them as well. What am I doing wrong, what am I doing right, what could I do better in terms of my fit? Thanks!

yeah man, too big. I would get like a 29 waist. You want them to be a bit tight when you first get them.

Since you are short, you are going to have to get any jeans hemmed a good deal. I would stick with a jean that wont look funky once hemmed. If you hem 5 inches off a bootcut jean it is going to look weird so stick with a straight leg jean. I would check out the average joe if you like nudies.

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
This is true of flares. Is the bootcut of the Regular Ralf so severe?

The Regular Ralfs only have a slight bootcut. Hemming them will not look weird at all.

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
You know, I really wouldn't worry about where the trousers sit. Its really the length thats sometimes a problem. I mean, did you see how silly the stacking looked on my last post? It was so severe that it looked like it was being reflected on a crazy mirror. No, I don't think stacking is as bad as cuffing as far as making legs look shorter but it should be done right as well. Just play around with it a bit and POST SOME PICS!

I'll try and get some pictures up this weekend!
smile.gif
I think we may have the same height and weight, Berlin. I could definitely learn a lot from you. Your WAYWT fits are spot-on.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
heres an update, got these jeans hemmed from a 31x34 to 31x29ish. Remember, i am 5'4, 135 lbs, not skinny, not obese. Thoughts/comments please (and not just on the jeans, the t shirt fit ok?)

front2.jpg
pixel.jpg
back-1.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
heres an update, got these jeans hemmed from a 31x34 to 31x29ish. Remember, i am 5'4, 135 lbs, not skinny, not obese. Thoughts/comments please (and not just on the jeans, the t shirt fit ok?)

front2.jpg
pixel.jpg
back-1.jpg

Not too bad, I think you could have sized down one more size, though.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SUIT YOUR SHAPE
A GQ primer for the hard-to-fit

So you're not the size of a male model"”welcome to the club. Whether you're tall or short, stocky or lanky, there are style secrets to making a suit look right for your body. Here, we take four celebrated body shapes and show you exactly how to look your best"”without lifting a weight or counting a calorie.

Link to the info: http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slid.../07102007SHAPE

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
yeh, i just ordered a RRDS in 29/32 and a Straight Sven in the same size. This time around im gonna wear the nudies long but stacked or cuffed and get them hemmed after im satisfied with the results after few years of wear. we'll see how that turns out

iamaloser

Reaction score
Off-topic, but do you go to Loyola? It's on my list of colleges to apply to. The jeans look great in that length, at least in my opinion. I'm 5' 8" and I usually go with a 30 inseam, but I guess I just have stubby legs or something.

pinoy

Reaction score
yeh, i just ordered a RRDS in 29/32 and a Straight Sven in the same size. This time around im gonna wear the nudies long but stacked or cuffed and get them hemmed after im satisfied with the results after few years of wear. we'll see how that turns out

Start off slow. Don't go buying two pairs of jeans before you even know / understand what fits and what best suits your body.

Based off experience, I'd keep the stacking to the bare minimum and avoid cuffing altogether. Cuffing creates a horizontal line on your legs which breaks the vertical line, making your legs look shorter. Also, try to get your jeans as slim as possible (not skin-tight).

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
iamaloser, I did go to loyola for 4 semesters but transfered to another school. It just wasn't working for me and too expensive. Pretty good school though, you may like it. Take a visit, Chicago is an awesome place to be all year round. Pinoy, I tried the 29/32 svens at a store here and loved the fit and as for the ralfs, I just love the cut and wish I didn't impulse buy the oversized jeans. Thats something I need to work on - actually "shopping", comparing prices and making sure it actually fits before I commit to it. But thanks for the advice, I can def see how the cuffs won't really work ( although personally, I really like how the model is wearing the ralfs in the nudie fit guide with the cuffs ). If you have any more advice for someone my height and build, I'd really really appreciate it. Like a few other members here, I thought I had a pretty good sense of style but I definitly didn't. I needed to get the basics down first (like fit, color matching etc) and thats where Im at right now. Thanks

phooi

Reaction score
Have you looked at APC NS? I think they are great jeans if you're on the shorter side (I'm shorter than you). The things I try to stay away from when it comes to jeans are large back pockets and too high a rise. It messes with my proportions. The APCs are slim, not too high a rise, and have relatively small back pockets. When I wear them, they look proportionately correct. While I think Nudies are great jeans, they have huge back pockets and the pocket stitching really emphasizes the size of the pockets. On me, it looks like the jeans are wearing me... just my thoughts.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
thanks for the advice phooi, i'll def have to check the new standards out.. being short kinda sucks

phooi

Reaction score
at least you can say you're taller than me! but yes, shortness sucks.

Also, take a look at 5EP SFs. I have a pair of 5EP LDB rigids and I love them... material, color, and fit. My only complaint was that the pockets were too big. I believe they are planning to make them slightly smaller for the 5EP SFs... so save your $$$. Please share with the rest of us if you come across any good brands for shorter folks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads