• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice - MTM in NYC under $1k

alikaboom

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am in the market for my first MTM suit and I'd like to seek some advice. My criteria is as follows:

1. I'm quite short. 5'3" to be exact. So, it's pretty difficult for me to find anything off the rack. I've had "some" luck with theory or hickey and having them tailored well. So, I'd like to find a mtm shop that can tailor a suit for a smaller guy (ie: more narrow/slim fit).

2. I think I'd like to go with a dark charcoal suit - maybe bordering on black. I figure it would be good for work, but also formal events.

3. I'd like to spend under $1000 and it has to be located in NYC.

4. Unfortunately I need the suit by August 1. I know it's tight timing....

Some have mentioned Mr. Ned is a good option. Any other comments/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Mr. Ned.

Alternatively, try the search function - NYC mtm suits have been discussed before.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LS mens clothing

stumy

Reaction score
LNC tailor shop in chinatown will make you a suit inhouse at about the same price point as Mr. Neds. I've used Neds and was not too happy with the result (too boxy). LNC, on the other hand, has altered a couple of garmets for me and the tailor does excellent work (see the definitive guide to NYC tailors for LNC testimonials). I'm considering having LNC make me a suit. He quoted me 3 weeks. You should seriously consider it.

*To be fair to Neds, my friend has used them and achieved very nice results. You have to be very assertive, which I was not. You could probably get neds to get you a suit by August 1 if you explain the situation.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stumy
LNC tailor shop in chinatown will make you a suit inhouse at about the same price point as Mr. Neds. I've used Neds and was not too happy with the result (too boxy). LNC, on the other hand, has altered a couple of garmets for me and the tailor does excellent work (see the definitive guide to NYC tailors for LNC testimonials). I'm considering having LNC make me a suit. He quoted me 3 weeks. You should seriously consider it.

*To be fair to Neds, my friend has used them and achieved very nice results. You have to be very assertive, which I was not. You could probably get neds to get you a suit by August 1 if you explain the situation.

The gentleman who runs LNC mentioned that he defers the actual commissioning of the suit to a third party.

alikaboom

Reaction score
Do you think LS and Mr. Ned can make a slim enough suit for my body-type? Should I ask for a certain type of "cut" or any other specifics to ensure a proper fit?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alikaboom
Do you think LS and Mr. Ned can make a slim enough suit for my body-type? Should I ask for a certain type of "cut" or any other specifics to ensure a proper fit?

They will fit you with a very conservative "American" suit. I would demand high armholes as it seems like many MTM tailors fail to do that.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Band of Outsiders? Sounds like this is what you are looking for, slim cut MTM from Martin Greenfield.

alikaboom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
What about Band of Outsiders? Sounds like this is what you are looking for, slim cut MTM from Martin Greenfield.

I like the BoO style. How much would a MTM from Greenfield run?

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alikaboom
I like the BoO style. How much would a MTM from Greenfield run?

Well more than your budget.

I can make you a great suit in the range of $550-750 depending on the fabric and options you choose. Visit my site for more info.

alikaboom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Well more than your budget.

I can make you a great suit in the range of $550-750 depending on the fabric and options you choose. Visit my site for more info.

Thanks. I'll definitely take a look.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
The gentleman who runs LNC mentioned that he defers the actual commissioning of the suit to a third party.

Actually he outsources some parts of the manufacture to others, just like every Savile Row house and most of the well-known bespoke tailors elsewhere who are routinely touted on SF. He does the measuring, the cutting, the fitting, others do pieces of the construction and the finishing (again, just like time honored SR division of labor). He actually sometimes does overflow work for other NYC tailors himself (he has shown me garments he is helping others with on a number of occasions - if you're familiar with NYC bespoke tailors, you will likely have heard of them - precisely what parts he does I'm not sure). His process is essentially the same one followed by other bespoke makers throughout the world.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm an idiot. I was confusing BoO's pricing with Thick as Thieves. Both slim cut MTM with cutesy names. You may want to check TaT.

PhillyDude

Reaction score
I just tried out MySuit on 34th and Broadway. Prices start at $495. I enjoyed the experience, and I hope to make a topic detailing it soon (I just need pics). I shall keep you posted.

Also, I believe we are of similar heights.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads