• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice - MTM in NYC under $1k

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhillyDude
I just tried out MySuit on 34th and Broadway. Prices start at $495. I enjoyed the experience, and I hope to make a topic detailing it soon (I just need pics). I shall keep you posted. Also, I believe we are of similar heights.
FYI: Mysuit used to be called Cambridge. You are getting a fully fused suit with inferior Asian fabrics. made in Mexico at the $495 price point. Their suits are made in the same factory as Jones New York and Donald Trump suits. I am not saying thats terrible but I think at the price you could do a lot better.

PhillyDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
FYI:

Mysuit used to be called Cambridge. You are getting a fully fused suit with inferior Asian fabrics. made in Mexico at the $495 price point. Their suits are made in the same factory as Jones New York and Donald Trump suits.

I am not saying thats terrible but I think at the price you could do a lot better.

Funny you mention it, I was hoping someone would chime in and offer a better alternative at a similar price.

If you can make slimmer lapels, and if a generally slim cut is right up your alley, I may want to do business with you.
smile.gif

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not personally used Steven's MTM service, but in my correspondence with him, he has been nothing but helpful. Although I would love to use him in the future, I'm just not sure if the house cut suits me.

Originally Posted by PhillyDude
Funny you mention it, I was hoping someone would chime in and offer a better alternative at a similar price.

If you can make slimmer lapels, and if a generally slim cut is right up your alley, I may want to do business with you.
smile.gif

Pasha

Reaction score
I used LNC 2 weeks ago to make alterations to two jackets and a pair of slacks (shorten the sleeves on one jacket, shorten the sleeves, eliminate the bubble in the back, which Mr. Chu did by taking in the shoulders on the upper seams, and take in the seat on the pants). The place is somewhat strange (it's in the basement in Chinatown) but the work is excellent. I paid $122 for the job, which I find rather reasonable. Mr. Chu also quoted a fully canvassed navy blazer for $850, but I am still thinking. The jackets that I saw in his shop were solidly made but - in my view - more on a conservative, boxy side. But that could be his customers' preference. Having said that, I will definitely use Mr. Chu for my alteration needs in the future. He has a very good eye and superb skills.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pasha
I used LNC 2 weeks ago to make alterations to two jackets and a pair of slacks (shorten the sleeves on one jacket, shorten the sleeves, eliminate the bubble in the back, which Mr. Chu did by taking in the shoulders on the upper seams, and take in the seat on the pants). The place is somewhat strange (it's in the basement in Chinatown) but the work is excellent. I paid $122 for the job, which I find rather reasonable. Mr. Chu also quoted a fully canvassed navy blazer for $850, but I am still thinking. The jackets that I saw in his shop were solidly made but - in my view - more on a conservative, boxy side. But that could be his customers' preference. Having said that, I will definitely use Mr. Chu for my alteration needs in the future. He has a very good eye and superb skills.

I've used LNC for a few suits and odd jackets as well as plenty of alterations. For alterations, he is really an excellent choice. For suits and sportcoats, as long as you are not looking for a very softly tailored Neapolitan style, he is also an excellent choice. The "house cut," such as it exists, is kind of Brooks Brothers / kind of traditional English (structured, nipped waist, somewhat generous padding). That said, together with him, we managed to create a far less boxy profile, with far less padding and much softer canvassing. It has plenty of shape with natural shoulders, a very nicely defined back curve, slim sleeves, open, curved quarters, etc. The workmanship has always been very good, but has actually gotten better in the past year or so.

All that said, if you use him, and the price point is very attractive, just be sure you know and articulate exactly what you want down to some pretty specific detail. If you know what you want and how to communicate it, you will get a very well executed garment. He is also able to work in more styles than I think he sometimes gets credit for - you just need to push a little. FWIW, I've done plenty of other custom / bespoke from the likes of WW Chan (since 1999), Steed (for the past year) and Gieves. I continue to use both Chan and Steed very regularly. I hope it speaks well of his quality / price that I still use LNC regularly and in fact recently ordered another odd jacket from him...if you're interested, shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to detail how I've found it best to work with him. He's a good, skilled tailor and very nice guy to boot (he still charges me what he did when I first went to LNC years ago (1998) for some alterations and refuses it when I try to give him more).

stumy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
I've used LNC for a few suits and odd jackets as well as plenty of alterations. For alterations, he is really an excellent choice. For suits and sportcoats, as long as you are not looking for a very softly tailored Neapolitan style, he is also an excellent choice. The "house cut," such as it exists, is kind of Brooks Brothers / kind of traditional English (structured, nipped waist, somewhat generous padding). That said, together with him, we managed to create a far less boxy profile, with far less padding and much softer canvassing. It has plenty of shape with natural shoulders, a very nicely defined back curve, slim sleeves, open, curved quarters, etc. The workmanship has always been very good, but has actually gotten better in the past year or so.

All that said, if you use him, and the price point is very attractive, just be sure you know and articulate exactly what you want down to some pretty specific detail. If you know what you want and how to communicate it, you will get a very well executed garment. He is also able to work in more styles than I think he sometimes gets credit for - you just need to push a little. FWIW, I've done plenty of other custom / bespoke from the likes of WW Chan (since 1999), Steed (for the past year) and Gieves. I continue to use both Chan and Steed very regularly. I hope it speaks well of his quality / price that I still use LNC regularly and in fact recently ordered another odd jacket from him...if you're interested, shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to detail how I've found it best to work with him. He's a good, skilled tailor and very nice guy to boot (he still charges me what he did when I first went to LNC years ago (1998) for some alterations and refuses it when I try to give him more).

I commissioned a suit from LNC a couple of weeks ago and had my first fitting today. It looked extremely promising. The suit was wonderfully proportioned and the cut appeared to be just right for my body type (slim + broad shoulders). The attention to detail that he is willing to give me is incredible as well. I spent a good deal of time with him and I never felt rushed at all. I think I'm going to be very happy with the result and I anticipate ordering more items from him in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads