1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Advice - HERMES Belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Flashman, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Disagree.

I have a belt from Equus Leather with the same type of buckle as the middle pic there.

2. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

I took the brown/black strap back anc changed it for the orange/black which was the original colours that I wanted all along when I first liked the belt. Phew...lucky I found the strap and they had it in stock! The experince of buying the H belt has been the most stressful shopping experience of my life.
    Does this not say something about Hermes as a store? Buying an item that expensive should be in every way made to be the most enjoyable shopping experience of your life (so you look forward to doing it again).

3. TintinATL

TintinATL Senior member

One thing to note about the "H" belt is that the belt itself, the leather, is surprisingly thin. I suppose that's actually an indicator of quality, especially as it's two layers of different colored leather together, but it was a surprise to me when I got mine. It works well with jeans, but I do feel you have to downplay the rest of the outfit, so no other obvious labels/logos (Gucci, Prada, Fendi etc).

4. Flashman

Flashman Senior member

Thanks for pics of th 2 belts, I had not seen the Constance or knew about it, but glad I got the H belt i wanted.
    Even then I changed my mind about the buckle from the brush finish to the usual smooth gold finish snd then a day or so later realised I actually wanted the orange/black not the brown/black.

5. Flashman

Flashman Senior member

Does this not say something about Hermes as a store? Buying an item that expensive should be in every made to be the most enjoyable shopping experience of your life (so you look forward to doing it again).

I will agree with you - the impression one gets is that the items are so expensive and the production is all cloaked in mystery. So if you want something it may not be in store/stock and not one knows if they will have any coming in if another store does not have the item.
    Its all a bit 'wanky' but I really like the fact that it has a degree of exclusivity that the 'chavs' are not interested in.

6. Flashman

Flashman Senior member

One thing to note about the "H" belt is that the belt itself, the leather, is surprisingly thin. I suppose that's actually an indicator of quality, especially as it's two layers of different colored leather together, but it was a surprise to me when I got mine. It works well with jeans, but I do feel you have to downplay the rest of the outfit, so no other obvious labels/logos (Gucci, Prada, Fendi etc).

Good point. The stitching of the belt is same as the color of the side of the belt, which perhaps means that the 2 peices are glued. In any case, the feel and even smell is quality.
    I note your comment.
    I never wear anything with obvious labels as its not my general style which understated sophistication. This item is my ONLY real logo advertising (excluding barbor or ralp lauren small little tab/logos).

7. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

so no other obvious labels/logos (Gucci, Prada, Fendi etc).
    This is good advice for any outfit. Labels are like monograms - they are for you and your cleaner to see, nobody else. [​IMG]

8. NMW1982

NMW1982 Senior member

Haha, +1!

Go balls deep and bling that shit!

I know a dude my age who has an Hermes belt and he pretty much owns it, so baller!

You know, a good friend of mine once told me: "When you're young, if you can bling it up, bling the f**k up. Understated elegance is when you are settling down."
    But then again we were arguing over if having the cash whether to go for a Lamborghini or an Aston Martin.

Actually I don't even knowwhy I'm bringing this up.

9. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

I was refering to the giant, overbold H buckle ones. Those examples below are actually very nice, I could see myself wearing the one in the last pic.

Disagree.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Flashman

Flashman Senior member

Really enjoying wearing my H belt. I like the slight understated but yet quite obvious loudness of the whole look it affects.
    The buckle usually is only very slightly visible is I am wearing a sweater/jeans combo.

I have yet to wear it with a shirt/jeans combo which will make it less easy to be hidden.

Only things is I am not sure if the orange side works well with my blue stonewash Levis 501s as I never really wear black belts with jeans.

I am looking forward to summer when I can wear my white jeans with the orange side.

What are the best colour/combos for the Orange/Black belt with gold H buckle?