• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for Summer Sport Coat

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Hi All, I was looking for opinions on buying a vintage summer weight light blue sport coat (see pictures below). I came across 2 in my size, one a solid blue 1950s "Beach Club" Palm Beach 3/2 sport coat, probably in a cotton blend. It has all the usual ivy style details of era but has slightly roped shoulders.

The second one is a Haspel brand 3/2 (with a "dry clean only" tag in addition) with regatta type narrow stripping from the late 50s or 60s, probably a cotton or tropical wool blend. It has a few less of the specific ivy details (no hooked vent) and slightly wider lapels than the palm beach, but a more natural shoulder line. Both are in my size, both have some small spots but otherwise solid condition.

I assume the solid color is more versatile than the stripped but I kinda like the detail. What do you all think? Also, the Palm beach is twice the price of the Haspel but I could probably talk them down. Thanks in advance!
il_1140xN.1828937285_89rx.jpg
il_1140xN.4054400277_qtoy.jpg

il_1140xN.1781459092_afp6.jpg il_1140xN.4006754822_7ufo.jpg

Rbpp

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the first one looks like a typical Ivy coat. The lapels are extremely thin and short, even for a 3 buttons jacket. To me it just looks strange and not very appealing.
The cloth of the second one is rather uncommon but as a whole the jacket seems a lot more wearable.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
The only way to tell if these jackets are good or not is based on how they fit you and your taste. If they fit bad, well.... they are definitely not good. When it comes to taste, if your style is more vintage-oriented, and your clothing compliments the jacket based on style and era, you could possibly pull it off. The jackets scream vintage, especially the top one, so if you can pull it off considering the style, then I would say these jackets are good.

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Hi, thanks so much. Yeah, I have a fair amount of vintage (lived in Boston for 22 years) and I like the look of the 50s-60s ivy sack jackets with their relaxed, natural shoulders. The Palm Beach does have a more "Main Street Ivy" look with the narrow lapels and high button stance (plus hooked vent, 1/4 lining, lapped seams). There's another picture of the top button undone and the lapel rolls over and it doesn't seem as bad. Still, the Haspel has a less skinny lapel for that period of around 2.75" and rolls as well, and I am leaning towards it, especially since it is a good deal less $$ than the Palm Beach and has a nicer shoulder line.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Feel free to post in the What are you Wearing Today thread to see what others think about how the jackets pair with your outfit!

Leiker

Reaction score
Love the Haspel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads