1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice for Suits/Sportcoats/Shirt fabrics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by doughboysc, May 15, 2005.

1. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior Member

I like to ask you for advice. I'm around 6'2", weighing 335 pounds, wearing a 20" neck 36" sleeve, 58" chest (58 Portly Long), and 56" waist. Now some of my size has changed. Here's two of my recent head-shots of me wearing a shirt and tie. 1.) [​IMG] 2.) [​IMG] If I buy a custom-made shirt, suit, sport jacket, trousers. What type of fabrics is right for me for suitings/sport coats: Worsteds, Solids, Harris Tweed, Stripes, Herringbone, Plaid, Check, or Twills? What type of fabrics is right for me for the shirtings? Solid, Stripes, Herringbones, Checks, Plaids (like Prince of Wales) What type of collars that it's right for me? Straight-Pointed (I'm wearing on Image #2), Button-Down (I'm wearing on Image #1), Tab, Pinned, Spread, Cutaway? What necktie length is right for me? Regular 56" or Extra-Long 61"? What type of suits/sportcoats is right for me? Single-Breasted suits (Two or Three Button), or Double-Breasted? With or Without vest? What type of trouser style is right for me? Trendy flat-front (plain front or pleatless), forward pleats, or reverse pleats? Cuffed or Uncuffed? And one more question, what type of necktie design looks best on me? Regimental stripes, Solid, Knited, Polka Dot, Floral, Plaid, or Paisley? Please e-mail me at [email protected]

2. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

polyester baby

3. mkk

mkk Senior Member

It would be good to choose fabrics which "elongate" you.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I'd go with plain fabrics, herringbones, and fine pinstripes (nothing loud). For suits, dark colors in smooth weaves will look best. No black though. Dark grey and charcoal would look good on you, I think.

Go with an XL tie (61" and longer).

5. Fritz

Fritz Senior Member

Probably SB would be good for you. My feeling is, two buttons would be better, but it is hard to tell without a picture of you entire body. As far as fabrics I agree with Johnnynorman.
    For shirts: Straight-pointed collar like you wear seems good. I have a hard time imagining you looking good with button-down, or with too much spread. Also, try to find a collar that is sizable enough to not be looking out of balance with your face.