• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for my new shell cordovans

mizanation

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I finally bought my first grown-up shoe. I went with the Alden burgundy shell cordovan lace-up boot. Here's a pic:

myaldens2.jpg

when i tried them on in the store, they felt pretty good. however, after i bought them, my right foot on the right side is having occasional pain. my left foot feels perfect.

i've heard that shell cordovans do not stretch as much as calf-skin, so is there anything i can do to make my right foot fit better?

is it better to just "break them in?" i've heard conflicting reports on whether it is good or necessary to do this.

thanks in advance,

miz

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great boots, welcome to the club!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd wear them for 3-4 hours at a time for a while and see whether the pain persists.

mizanation

Reaction score
i've been wearing them at work for the past 3 days. pain comes and goes as my foot swells and shrinks.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
i've been wearing them at work for the past 3 days. pain comes and goes as my foot swells and shrinks.

is your foot swelling a lot? might be a medical problem if its excessive.

for future reference, buy shoes towards the end of the day. your foot should be at its largest then.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I definitely would not wear them everyday until you've given them a chance to break in.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I definitely would not wear them everyday until you've given them a chance to break in.
And then wear them no more often than every other day. While they're resting be sure to use shoe trees. If they're not extremely tight, it sounds like you just need to break them in. Shell cordovan will conform very well to your feet, I just find that it takes a little longer than calfskin. Nice boots!

mizanation

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your help. looks like i have nothing to worry about.

also, looks like i'll need to buy another pair so i can alternate! ;-)

thanks again.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you live in the northern hemisphere?

It's summer right at the moment and in Europe (don't know about the States) a rather hot one.
If, in this heat, you even get into your boots, they're gonna be fine in somewhat colder temperatures.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Do you live in the northern hemisphere?

It's summer right at the moment and in Europe (don't know about the States) a rather hot one.
If, in this heat, you even get into your boots, they're gonna be fine in somewhat colder temperatures.

thanks for the tip, i didn't know about that.

i'm in nyc, and we just finished having a record breaking heatwave. now, it's just hot and humid, while before, it was like being in an oven. so, i should be fine in a couple months...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
And then wear them no more often than every other day. While they're resting be sure to use shoe trees.

If they're not extremely tight, it sounds like you just need to break them in. Shell cordovan will conform very well to your feet, I just find that it takes a little longer than calfskin.

Nice boots!

I should have added that as well. You'll be surprised how much longer your shoes last if you don't wear them every day.

What I meant to say is, especially don't wear them everyday when you're trying to break them in. Your feet need to rest too!

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I should have added that as well. You'll be surprised how much longer your shoes last if you don't wear them every day.

What I meant to say is, especially don't wear them everyday when you're trying to break them in. Your feet need to rest too!

got it, will do. just with i had another pair of alden cordos. my black taxtos will have to do.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
got it, will do. just with i had another pair of alden cordos. my black taxtos will have to do.

Better, at least in my opinion, to take care of good shoes you've got by alternating them with less-good shoes than to overtax the good ones.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got another tip from the guy from http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com.

he said, that you can send the shoes back to alden and have them stretch on a wider last for a week.

good to know for the future.

I recommend you try to break them in first. Stretching could leave you with shoes that are too wide and/or don't conform to your foot as closely as you'd like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads