• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for Japanese MotoGP at Motegi.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought my tickets for a work trip to Singapore the first week of May.

BUT, I'm stopping off in Japan the week prior, mainly to attend the MotoGP race on April 25 at Motegi. I will then be in Tokyo for the following week before continuing on to Singapore.

I'm sure it will be easy to get a zillion suggestions for Tokyo, but if anyone has any suggestions, experiences, wisdom to share for my MotoGP Motegi adventure; I would love to hear.

I don't ride a bike myself, I just love attending the races. So, I'm interested in options on getting to/from Motegi and places to stay. From what I've read, even though it's close to Tokyo, Motegi is a bit of a rural/remote destination. I found a few travel tour offerings online, which are tempting. Also, I'll arrive in Tokyo on Friday, so although something that included qualifiers on Saturday would nice, I'd be happy to find something that just covered race day on Sunday.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's in the middle of nowhere. In all the times I have been to Motegi, I have seen nothing. Maybe you should just make it a day trip for Race Day, rather than stay overnight.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, its out in BFE, So its probably best to go just out on race day and spend the rest of your time in Tokyo like Dragon said.
I may, may be there for the races as my friend's dad owns a company that sponsors Rossi so they get super hot ass tickets to all the races. She invited me, so depending on school and such...

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I read elsewhere, so thanks for the confirmation. I take it that the only way to get to/from the racetrack is either to drive/ride yourself or sign-up for a tour-group. I'm not too keen on driving.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
That's pretty much what I read elsewhere, so thanks for the confirmation. I take it that the only way to get to/from the racetrack is either to drive/ride yourself or sign-up for a tour-group. I'm not too keen on driving.

well, especially consider they drive on the other side
laugh.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to use trains/bus to get from Tokyo to the track, anyone have ideas on how long it would take? Train to Utsunomiya then bus to the track.

Reaction score
Bring earplugs.

That and enjoy yourself! Should be a blast at Motegi. Fantastic track.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard
Bring earplugs.

That and enjoy yourself! Should be a blast at Motegi. Fantastic track.

Thanks, and earplugs for sure! I've been to the Laguna-Seca GP a few times and went to the British GP at Donington a few years back. At Laguna, you can get quite close to the track at the corkscrew and it is unbelievably loud.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
If I were to use trains/bus to get from Tokyo to the track, anyone have ideas on how long it would take? Train to Utsunomiya then bus to the track.

Ok there are 3 routes.
Easiest is to take the shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Utsunomiya (50min) then take a bus for 90min or taxi for 60. Bus number 3 on the first floor exit.

OR

Take the Yamanote line from Tokyo to Ueno and then ride the Joban Line SuperExpress/Rapid/Tokkyu to Mito (80min) then bus for 90 taxi for 60. Bus number 7
bus-mito.gif

OR

Take the Shinkansen Tokyo to Koyama (maybe Oyama, 42min), then Mito Line for 25min to Shimodate, From there take the (真岡鐵道) Mooka Tetsudou/Mooka line (63min) to Motegi. Then its a 6min taxi ride to the track. This is the cheapest way by like 2000 yen.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the detailed info! Domo arigato.

OxWing

Reaction score
I'm jealous! Make sure you plan ahead with your taxi/bus/whatever to the track. Things get a little bit crazy as the races let out and if you don't already have a ride set up you might be screwed. When I went to Jerez for the '09 race I ended up walking like 3 miles through the f**king desert in a pair of Jack Purcell's.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and help, but it's all for naught. I just saw on the MotoGP site that the race has been postponed.

Due to the air travel disruption in Europe caused by the Icelandic volcano eruption, the teams and their equipment and such won't make it to Japan in time to prepare for the race.

Oh well, anyone up for some sake in Tokyo this coming weekend?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, Sure. Ill be finished with all my final tests so I am down for whatever.
You'll be the 5th SF guy I have met this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads