Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice for first and only sneakers.

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by ovlov, Oct 6, 2016.

1. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

I haven't updated my casual wardrobe beyond t-shirts and chinos in over 1 years.

I don't even have a decent pair of casual shoes.

I am looking at picking up one pair of simple versatile sneakers that i can wear with plain chinos and jeans but will hopefully be
    a- versatile enough to go with pretty much anything if I tart expanding my casual wardrobe; and
    b- inconspicuous enough so it isn't too noticable that I only have 1 pair of shoes (is this even an issue beyond sf?)

[​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

Which would be the most versatile and best suited to slim beige chinos and dark jeans?
    I know the standard answer is likely 'stick to plain white' but I'm not a fan.

I originally was leaning towards the navy, though then i thought maybe they would stick out too much.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

2. Fashionablemale

Fashionablemale Senior Member

I like the gray. I have some converse that are like this and they work well with denim.

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

Using only one pair of shoes will get noticed, especially as the pair inevitably looks more and more worn. It's also bad for shoe and foot health.

The first two pairs above look very casual (meaning not "versatile"), and some would call the pea green ugly. The third pair might be okay.

4. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Thanks mate, though I think you misunderstood. My purpose is to get single pair of versatile (as in goes with a wider variety of colours) casual sneakers. I have 5 pairs of dress shoes and some suede brogues to cover me for work and date night. I just need something for trips to the movies, bbqs, park, shopping etc.

5. RabidOrphan

RabidOrphan Active Member

Are white, low-tops no longer the "essential" sneakers? I thought black oxfords, brown brogues, and white low-tops are the requirements.

6. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

I think you're right but I don't trust myself with pure white so looking for alternatives.

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

The first type of shoe still might be a negative at movies or when shopping. To offer a better example (albeit with possibly less foot support) -> http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/mens-shoes/dark-denim-mn-del-rey-sneaker-435454480

8. PipeNLoafers

PipeNLoafers New Member

I think the 'Common Projects' in a white, low-top would be a good place begin your search, failing that, the Acne Studio 'Adrian' in white or black would also be a good option.

9. toplel

toplel Senior Member

Of the three posted, the 3rd pair is the only good one, sry the first two are terrible.

10. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up caving to peer pressure and picking up a pair of White CP Achilles. That 3rd pair above are Rancourts and unfortunately it turned out that shipping to Aus was going to be absurdly expensive.