• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for buying men suits in London

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you cannot afford bespoke if you are not rich enough to treat your bespoke items as if they were beaters.

Fair enough, I am certainly not rich, but neither to the majority of SF population or the world so what so bad about it?

Also, it is very stupid to access how rich someone is by how they buy and treat their clothes. Only newbie, immature people will make such mistake

Geezer

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't think I'm being mean to the OP at all.

I've said I wear their stuff, And similar stuff. It's OK, Sometimes it's better than OK.

Saying this is "mean" is like criticising someone for pointing out that BB 1818 is less good than Rubinacci.

As Mr Scott said "you canna change the laws of physics, captain".

I've commented not on the OP, but on the blog linked above. And TML's wider marketing ploys. Recognise them for what they are. Don't get seduced by them. Make your own well-informed decisions about quality/price. Which could well mean you buy their stuff (I have). But buy it or what it is, not what someone in their marketing department claims it might be.

OP: if you have most of a day, start in Jermyn St, visit everywhere that sells OTR suits (TML, C&H, H&H, T&A, N&L, even that John Bray place on the corner that none of us like). Then go to M&S. Sleep - or lunch - on it, and then go back and buy whatever (a) fits you, (b) is in a style you like, (c) suits your budget, (d) fits you. And did I mention (e) fits you? It's simple. Ignore the label.

Last edited:

Ping Pong

Reaction score
Quote:
I agree. Going one step further, wearing a suit does NOT mean you are rich.

Anyway, please go back to the topic in question. Please only post related contents.

Last edited:

Ping Pong

Reaction score
OP: if you have most of a day, start in Jermyn St, visit everywhere that sells OTR suits (TML, C&H, H&H, T&A, N&L, even that John Bray place on the corner that none of us like). Then go to M&S. Sleep - or lunch - on it, and then go back and buy whatever (a) fits you, (b) is in a style you like, (c) suits your budget, (d) fits you. And did I mention (e) fits you? It's simple. Ignore the label.

Thanks, I will check out those shops. Any advice on suit materials, e.g. Wool, Super 100, viscose, polyester. Thanks again

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do not indicate your budget but the new M and S range is worthy of a look - five suits in it. All designed on Saville Row and made in China. If they are too expensive then try the cheaper M and S ranges - - Collezione any others.

Beyond that there are stores galore and many will offer the international brands as well as some less well known.

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but if the OP's budget is around the £500 mark, then would Ede & Ravenscroft be a good choice? I like the navy wool suit - and I believe that Ede & Ravenscroft throw in a free pair of trousers for the price as well, if memory serves from reading similar threads.

I currently have 2 work beaters - one from Charles Tyrwhitt and one from TM Lewin at around the £300 mark inc. spare pair of trousers. I'm thinking for my next suit of heading to Ede & Ravenscroft because the navy suit in their brochure looks far and away better than the navy suits sold in either of the previous stores mentioned. Of course, I need to determine if the RTW sizing fits me. I have been too hasty in the past, and both of my previous suits - Charles Thywhitt and Tm Lewin - are too short lengthwise in the trouser. The Charles Tyrwhitt jacket also needs to be taking in around the chest area. That said, from reading similar threads, additional tailoring seems to be part of the course with RTW.

Found this thread which discusses the subject - although the price point is around £600.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads