• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for bold colors.

Flippincorvette

Reaction score
My law school told me I needed to have five suits. I had to purchase an extra two to reach that amount. I’ve got the suits, but I want some bold choices for ties without looking tacky. The suits pictured here are not the exact ones I purchased from my local formal wear store. These are very similar however in color. What would be some good looking shirt, and tie colors, that can be perceived as bold? Thank you!
Edit- Just wanted to make it clear my green suit is plain not patterned. This was the closest example I could find to the shade of green.

Attachments

• 93E481EA-35F7-4EAA-A28E-1E4F953C7FB3.jpeg
    93E481EA-35F7-4EAA-A28E-1E4F953C7FB3.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 61
  • C7B2D976-C1D6-4974-A566-ECB38B0DD7ED.jpeg
    C7B2D976-C1D6-4974-A566-ECB38B0DD7ED.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The ties pictured here aren't the sort of thing I would wear to a law firm (I assume you now work at a law firm). If you really want to wear bold ties, you can try Hermes. They are known for their bolder silk prints. That said, I think shops such as Drakes, EG Cappelli, Vanda Fine Clothing, Chipp Neckwear, and Sam Hober offer much more tasteful options.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While you did not ask for advice on suits themselves, the photos compel a response. Even assuming one of your suits is not actually brocade like the dark green example you provided, the color itself would be inappropriate at a law firm. Indeed even men with dozens of suits generally manage to get through life without a green one.

And the light grey (or blue?) suit is also not ideal although possibly acceptable in summer.

You can find lots of advice on building a basic lawyer’s wardrobe but in essence you should probably start with five variants in navy and medium to charcoal grey. Dark suits convey power and seriousness to clients (and juries and judges if you are a trial lawyer). Vary the fabric more than the colors—meaning lighter weave materials for summer and heavier cloth for winter (but always wool).

Your instinct for bold ties is fine—that’s what ties are for, especially to set off dark suits. But unless you want to look like a riverboat gambler, your shirts should be white or light blue. In the history of mankind no one has ever remarked, “Check out the clueless dude who wears a white shirt every day!”

You say you bought the two suits at a local formal wear shop, which suggests that they were not very expensive. Perhaps you might consider replacing them with slightly better choices in terms of both color and construction. Again, lots of advice in this forum on good entry-level suit brands.

Pay attention to what the senior partners at your firm wear. You want to look like them.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your law school told you that 5 suits are needed? Your law school administrators have been watching too much TV.

rjc149

Reaction score
Ties can be a little louder and bolder if your suits are conservative. As stated above, they soften the austerity of a dark business suit, hence why business ties can have novelty print patterns, stripes, polka dots etc.

The two ties you pictured are perfectly appropriate for a business outfit.

Business shirts worn with a necktie should be plain white or sky blue. Pink, yellow, pinstripes etc. are better for a less formal, no-tie look.

Flippincorvette

Reaction score
While you did not ask for advice on suits themselves, the photos compel a response. Even assuming one of your suits is not actually brocade like the dark green example you provided, the color itself would be inappropriate at a law firm. Indeed even men with dozens of suits generally manage to get through life without a green one.

And the light grey (or blue?) suit is also not ideal although possibly acceptable in summer.

You can find lots of advice on building a basic lawyer’s wardrobe but in essence you should probably start with five variants in navy and medium to charcoal grey. Dark suits convey power and seriousness to clients (and juries and judges if you are a trial lawyer). Vary the fabric more than the colors—meaning lighter weave materials for summer and heavier cloth for winter (but always wool).

Your instinct for bold ties is fine—that’s what ties are for, especially to set off dark suits. But unless you want to look like a riverboat gambler, your shirts should be white or light blue. In the history of mankind no one has ever remarked, “Check out the clueless dude who wears a white shirt every day!”

You say you bought the two suits at a local formal wear shop, which suggests that they were not very expensive. Perhaps you might consider replacing them with slightly better choices in terms of both color and construction. Again, lots of advice in this forum on good entry-level suit brands.

Pay attention to what the senior partners at your firm wear. You want to look like them.
My school exists in the twilight zone of the south. Traditional black, grey and blue suits aren’t looked at fondly by local individuals. They convey a look that suggests you are from up north. A good majority of business suits here are tan, brown, light grey, or just western themed in general. Anything dark is frowned upon.

rjc149

Reaction score
My school exists in the twilight zone of the south. Traditional black, grey and blue suits aren’t looked at fondly by local individuals. They convey a look that suggests you are from up north. A good majority of business suits here are tan, brown, light grey, or just western themed in general. Anything dark is frowned upon.
That’s actually pretty interesting.

Flippincorvette

Reaction score
Also the green suit is actually a shade. Mine isn’t patterned. That’s the approximate color of the green.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, got it. Then my final bit of advice still holds: Dress like the top lawyers in the firm dress (the male lawyers that is). With any luck they're wearing seersucker suits!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're in the South, Ben Silver has some really nice neckwear. Much of it is very tasteful.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purple is one of the most versatile bold tie colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads