• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice for blazer w/ dark denim

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for a great fit blazer to wear with dark denim..

any suggestions on material/color-pattern/tailor-store?

thanks so much

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends how casual/dressy the look you want is.

Cotton blazers are good for casual looks.

I like velvet in warmer colors with dark denim. Chocolate works very well, Grape or Maroon is nice as well, and navy can be OK as well depending on the shade. I would stay away from black, but some people pull off that look fairly well.

Corduroy is nice, and works especially well in brown, although black isn't bad (better than velvet for a casual look IMO)

If you want to turn up the formality, navy blazers, with or without gold/brass buttons would be a dressier look, and you could also go with something in charcoal or black as well. If you want it to be trendier, then go with a slightly shorter jacket, perhaps in a one-button look. For something more dressy, a two or three button blazer in a more business-like cut could be more appropriate.

As far as manufacturers, there are so many it's really difficult to tell you where to start, but some vendors I like:

In increasing price:

Velvet:
Target (best value), H&M, Zara, Club Monaco

Corduroy:
H&M, Banana Republic, APC

Cotton:
H&M, Zara, Theory, John Varvatos

Wool:
H&M, Zara, APC, Paul Smith, Costume National, Jil Sander, Dior Homme

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing tweed blazers with dark denim lately. It works very well for a casual, country style look. I wore one today for Sunday brunch.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
I've been wearing tweed blazers with dark denim lately. It works very well for a casual, country style look. I wore one today for Sunday brunch.

tweed, courd, and velvet all do work nice...
those otr brands are all good as well..

do you think a good tailor could alter the blazer for a better fit?

Windsurf

Reaction score
My only suggestion is that if you want to wear dark jeans don't match it with a dark sport coat. Pick a sport coat that is lighter in color to create a contrast and highlight the look.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Windsurf
My only suggestion is that if you want to wear dark jeans don't match it with a dark sport coat. Pick a sport coat that is lighter in color to create a contrast and highlight the look.
+1 I'm always surprised when people mention wearing navy jackets with jeans: odd jackets are supposed to contrast!
teacha.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
+1
I'm always surprised when people mention wearing navy jackets with jeans: odd jackets are supposed to contrast!
teacha.gif

I asked the same question in a thread in Streetwear Forum. Navy jackets with dark jeans just doesnt look right to me. Black maybe, but its so standard...

I have a blue velvet and blue corduroy that are sufficiently dark that they look good with my more distressed denim, but no way with dark denim.

Other than tweed, can anyone recommend some solid blazer / sportscoat colors that would pair well with dark denim? I havent seen anything in grey yet, and while brighter colors would be cool, I wonder about how frequently I could get wear out of them without becoming "that guy in the _____ jacket"

K

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Other than tweed, can anyone recommend some solid blazer / sportscoat colors that would pair well with dark denim? I havent seen anything in grey yet, and while brighter colors would be cool, I wonder about how frequently I could get wear out of them without becoming "that guy in the _____ jacket"
Some safe choices are for winter: brown, for summer: tan.

billyhoyle

Reaction score
i've avoided the blazer w/ jeans look, but this weekend i bought an olive "military blazer" from zara at my girlfriend's insistence that i plan on wearing with jeans.

if it wasn't a spontaneous buy, i would have posted the zara blazer for this forum's critique. i'm sorta on the fence about it. anyone familiar with it??

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billyhoyle
i've avoided the blazer w/ jeans look, but this weekend i bought an olive "military blazer" from zara at my girlfriend's insistence that i plan on wearing with jeans. if it wasn't a spontaneous buy, i would have posted the zara blazer for this forum's critique. i'm sorta on the fence about it. anyone familiar with it??
Sounds interesting - we'd love to see pics. I'm assuming pockets on both chests, all pockets with buttoned flaps. More than 3 button, possibly?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billyhoyle
i've avoided the blazer w/ jeans look, but this weekend i bought an olive "military blazer" from zara at my girlfriend's insistence that i plan on wearing with jeans.

if it wasn't a spontaneous buy, i would have posted the zara blazer for this forum's critique. i'm sorta on the fence about it. anyone familiar with it??

what fabric? wool?

not sure if i remember it... i like the styling of their blazers typically although often the shoulders dont fit the greatest

billyhoyle

Reaction score
no, its cotton, but kinda feels like polyester.
smile.gif
it has no lapels and sorta like a half collar (if that makes sense). it buttons up the front (about 5 buttons) and has a single vent in the back. the cuffs have working buttonholes. the pockets (including the chest pockets...there are 2) button up as well. if zara had a decent website i would post a pic.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Dark brown and black corduroy blazers look great with dark blue denim IMO.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you traditional sport coats, in high thread count wools, can look good with jeans?

For example, could a POW check blazer, with a summer-weight wool, look good paired with jeans? What shirt would you wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads