1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice for black tie event

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Garfieldthecat, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Garfieldthecat

Garfieldthecat Senior Member

Hello,

I've got a black-tie event tomorrow night that I will have to attend, along with other co-workers. I have a decent black suit (notched SB 2 button), and polished cap-toe bals to wear, but only a regular point collar white shirt (barrel cuffs).

Given that I don't have time to really do anything except add a tie to this (I will be at the hospital working tomorrow), what are my options? I only heard about attending tonight, so I didn't have advance warning. From what I understand, many people will be wearing suits, but I want to want to dress as appropriately as I can.

Would a solid black tie be best to wear? Silver? Other options?

Thanks

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Black tie usually means time to break out the tuxedo.

Is the event black-tie or black-tie optional?

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Why would people be wearing suits if this is a black tie event?

Or is this event planner attempting to be witty with some semblance as to imply to wear a black tie?

4. Garfieldthecat

Garfieldthecat Senior Member

Sorry, I meant to say black tie optional. I just got more details about the event this morning.

Would a Black or silver solid tie still be more appropriate then a regular colored patterned tie?

Thanks

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

If it's black tie optional and I didn't have my dinner jacket to hand, I would not try to copy a black tie effect too closely.

Instead, I would go for an elegantly cut suit, a regular collared shirt (predominantly white I think) with an interesting patterned tie. Stylish and appropriate without trying to ape a black tie look with the wrong garments.

Of course, ideally, one would wear black tie unless you know no-one else will be doing so (in which case, why is the invite not cocktail attire rather than black tie optional).

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

navy blue suit, pink tie, white shirt?

if the black is all you have, maybe a pale blue or silver near solid tie, possibly with pin dots.