• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice for a Young Man Just Starting Out...?

sherlockstyle

Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
First, I'd like to thank the good people at SF for being my sounding board for style lately. I have been frequenting this website for the past couple months and it has been very helpful in helping me transform from a regimen of t-shirt and jeans into something more sophisticated. The only problem is I still have difficulty in determining how to take the step up to high quality.

I am 21 and have been on the hunt for a quality pair of black oxfords that will look good for years to come, so I am willing to make a big investment for them. But I see largely ambiguous advice as I visit different threads. I know this forum loves Allen Edmonds and I gave them an honest shot. The Park Avenue, while certainly fitting the bill of a quality black oxford, just fit uncomfortably. The other brand this forum loves is Alden, but they are out of my price range.

So please forgive me for selfishly posting pictures of a pair of shoes I just bought to get your opinion. They are the Lorenzo from Cole Haan Collection. Made in Italy. Retail at $328 but I bought them on sale for a little over $200. Cole Haan is not well-received on SF but can someone tell me if they are high quality or not? Worth the price? Any advice is appreciated.



 

atila

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
411
Reaction score
23
Park Avenue's are on a last that is made for a slimmer foot. To combat this you should probably by a bit wider than you normally would.

Case in point - I have a normal width/length foot so for my Park Avenue's I bought them in 8E as opposed to 8D (which is normal width and what I'd buy for 90% of my shoes).

As far as these Cole Haan's, I am not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion.
 

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
3,319
Reaction score
50
I think the stitching on the sides in the back looks awkward but the front looks fine to me. Not sure about how long they will last/quality. I still think you way overpaid for those though.


Did you try different sizes of park avenue's or just your normal size?
 

GBear

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
922
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I think the stitching on the sides in the back looks awkward but the front looks fine to me. Not sure about how long they will last/quality. I still think you way overpaid for those though.


Did you try different sizes of park avenue's or just your normal size?


Definitely what I said when I first saw these.


But they definitely seem overpriced for Cole Haans.
 

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
55
Originally Posted by sherlockstyle
Retail at $328 but I bought them on sale for a little over $200.

I hope you kept the receipt.
 

Joe Cool

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
459
Reaction score
1
My advice? Move back in with your parents, it's rough out there!

 

sherlockstyle

Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Thanks to the people that gave constructive responses. I tried the Park Avenues in a D, and it fit tight. Maybe I will try E next time.

For the people that say I overpaid: Why do you think so? These shoes are far more comfortable than the Park Avenues were.

And for the retard that replied with a Rodney Dangerfield non-sequiter: I'm sorry you were dropped as a child.
 

Neb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2010
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I'm not sure why everyone hates on Cole Haan so much. I think it depends on how much you use the shoe and how much abuse it'll get. I know for myself, my shoes get pretty beat wearing them for 8+hrs a day 5 days a week (even rotating through 3 pairs of regular shoes). Soles only last a year (again depends on your work conditions and how you commute to work). For $200 I think it's worth it. I'm on my 3rd pair of cole Haan's, the last pair I got for $50 off ebay that were in perfect condition. They're extremely comfortable shoes to be wearing all day IMO. For the price it's hard to beat them.
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,511
Reaction score
12,031
Originally Posted by Neb
I'm not sure why everyone hates on Cole Haan so much. I think it depends on how much you use the shoe and how much abuse it'll get. I know for myself, my shoes get pretty beat wearing them for 8+hrs a day 5 days a week (even rotating through 3 pairs of regular shoes). Soles only last a year (again depends on your work conditions and how you commute to work). For $200 I think it's worth it. I'm on my 3rd pair of cole Haan's, the last pair I got for $50 off ebay that were in perfect condition. They're extremely comfortable shoes to be wearing all day IMO. For the price it's hard to beat them.

They look and feel like garbage.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 87 17.5%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 158 31.8%
  • 8”

    Votes: 143 28.8%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 58 11.7%
  • 9”

    Votes: 26 5.2%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 11 2.2%
  • 10”

    Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 1.8%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,917
Messages
9,320,252
Members
195,567
Latest member
oycg
Top