• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice, First pair high quality dress shoes

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a 500usd budget it's better to buy two pairs at 250 usd than one at 500usd. Your shoes need to rest between wear especially if you are going to wear them for hours. The leather needs to dry - that is why we add shoe trees and let the shoes rest of at least a day between wears.

If it is your first quality shoes I would suggest you buy two pairs of Meermin instead of one Carmina or Vass. You will also be able to experiment two different styles. You can even do a pair of the Meermin maestro line with JR sole and a basic one. I think it would be a safer start for the life of your shoes.

Edit: for 600 usd you can also do two pairs of Carlos Santos if you want something made in Europe.

I would not recommend AE at full price even with a 15% off - styling is very old school and quality for the price is not fine.

That logic is sound. but i agree and disagree.

Agree with: You should defiantly rotate your shoes. You should have a minimum of 2 pairs than u were on alternate days (and use shoe trees). This will exponentially prolong the life of ur shoes. A minimum of 24 hrs of rest with shoe trees should be given between wears. This along with regular conditioning, polishing and brushing.

Disagree with: IMO, If u r planning to buy a shoe, do not compromise. Meermin < Carmina < Vass. And i would not put Allen Edmonds on the list any where (they were good back in the last century, but after the takeover the quality is bad and lasts are outdated). A good pair of Vass shoe will out last a pair of Merrmin and Carlos santos easily.

I personally think if u compromise, u generally don't care about it as much. And due to which u neglect them and don't wear them enough.

I have bought a few shoes, that i bough not coz of love of that company of model. I wanted a particular style (monk straps and tan wing tips) and these shoes were on a massive discount. I though this is a incredible deal and a steal for a style i want (a company that i don't care about). I bought those and they r now just lying on my shelf being neglected.

If u don't like/love something. u r not gonna wear it. At this price point v r looking at something that v like/love. Not from a point of view of utility..

PS: its my outlook. different people have different outlooks.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a 500usd budget it's better to buy two pairs at 250 usd than one at 500usd. Your shoes need to rest between wear especially if you are going to wear them for hours. The leather needs to dry - that is why we add shoe trees and let the shoes rest of at least a day between wears.

If it is your first quality shoes I would suggest you buy two pairs of Meermin instead of one Carmina or Vass. You will also be able to experiment two different styles. You can even do a pair of the Meermin maestro line with JR sole and a basic one. I think it would be a safer start for the life of your shoes.

Edit: for 600 usd you can also do two pairs of Carlos Santos if you want something made in Europe.

I would not recommend AE at full price even with a 15% off - styling is very old school and quality for the price is not fine.

This is probably the best advice. You definitely need two pairs of shoes. You can do a black shoe (for those events you mentioned and with your trousers) and a dark brown or burgundy for chinos, jeans etc.

Those Vass shoes would be a great choice and really most shoes with broguing as they are less formal and easier to coordinate with casual clothing.

Saying that, just because you can does not mean you should. I always find beginning your shoe journey with a solid entry level shoe allows you to appreciate a Vass level shoe (which can be considered mid-tier) considerably more. Moreover, it is much more acceptable to have something unexpected occur to a shoe when you are not paying $500 dollars for it.

I'd second @Sfroide3 suggestion of purchasing two pair of shoes (discounted AEs, discounted Carlos Santos, Meermins) and @aj2603 comments pertaining to darker colors.

Were it me, I would probably do the AE Strand in Dark Brown/Coffee, and a Black Captoe from Carlos Santos. Do not forget to account for the trees (On Amazon you can get a great pair for a touch over $20), and shoe care products (creams, waxes, conditioners, brushes).

Screenshot_20190830-002125_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190830-001915_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190830-001900_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190830-001752_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190830-001737_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190830-002141_Chrome.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disagree with: IMO, If u r planning to buy a shoe, do not compromise. Meermin < Carmina < Vass. And i would not put Allen Edmonds on the list any where (they were good back in the last century, but after the takeover the quality is bad and lasts are outdated). A good pair of Vass shoe will out last a pair of Merrmin and Carlos santos easily.

I personally think if u compromise, u generally don't care about it as much. And due to which u neglect them and don't wear them enough.

This sort of speaks to what I was referring to. @aj2603 mentioned he bought several shoes so from his experienced both owning and yearning he learned to go for the Vass.

I still think you would or could own a really nice set of multiple pairs of shoes at a good price, which meets your aesthetics, utility, and versatility.

After that, make either your third pair a lighter shoe, or a split toe Edward Green Dover (my biases always tend to come out)!!! ?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest to have a look at Cobbler Union, a forum sponsor. They offer quality shoes, made in Spain and easily available at the USA.

Bubbrubb

Reaction score
I went ahead with the Vass shoes. They look and fit great. I have other shoes I can rotate but they just aren't high quality... Yet. Florshiem loafers in medium brown, black horse bit loafers, brown cap toe chukka from Clark's. So I will be able to rotate until I build a nicer collection.
Where I think the Vass saves money is the JR soles and the lasted shoe trees are included. Since I bought online I'm not paying sales tax so it's a great advantage over AE. So ultimately it's about the same price as AE and cobbler union. I will get some black cap toe Oxford next but probably won't wear as often as the Vass. I am looking at cobbler union or possibly buying used on ebay since I probably won't wear more than once a week

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went ahead with the Vass shoes. They look and fit great. I have other shoes I can rotate but they just aren't high quality.....

An amazing shoe to begin your higher end shoe collection with. You definitely will not be disappointed.
Wear them in good health.

I should have warned you before I made any comment that once you go down this hole...There is no turning back.

Well then, Welcome to the rabbit hole! ??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads