Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice: dc suit shopping

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Navy09, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Navy09

Navy09 Member

Ok, one of the more senior attorneys today asked me where he should go to get new suits. I'm taking it as a compliment, but I'm not sure how to answer him. There is no way he wants to spend the kind of money I'm willing to spend on suits. I'm single. He has a wife and three young kids. We're both government stiffs too by the way.

So, he's a really nice guy and I want to give him some good advice. What would you all tell him?

2. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

Filene's Basement, especially the one on Connecticut Ave near Dupont Circle.

During their suit sales, you can get Hickey Freeman suits for about ~$400 and Oxxford for about ~$800 if I remember their "regular" prices correctly. They also have Corneliani.

Otherwise, you can wait for Neiman's and Saks sales, but even last call on a Brioni or Kiton at that level is still $$$ for the average schmoe.

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

Jos. Banks probably, as they have conservative suits that are pretty inexpensive. Brooks Brothers if he's willing to spend $400+.

My usual stock answer would be Filene's Basement, but if he doesn't know anything, he's likely to leave with a $99 piece of junk. I suppose you could mention that he should look for the Hickey-Freeman suit racks at Filene's (but even those are pretty pricey -- usually $400-600)

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My recommendations, in descending order of desirability:

1. Filene's Basement, Connecticut Avenue

2. Filene's Basement, Mazza Gallerie

3. Loehmann's, Mazza Gallerie (across street)

4. Off Fifth, Leesburg Corner Center

5. Barney's Outlet, Leesburg Corner Center

5. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I can't say I've heard of this, what can one expect to find here?

6. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

(Ambulance Chaser @ 08 Oct. 2004, 10:54) 3. Loehmann's, Mazza Gallerie (across street)
    I can't say I've heard of this, what can one expect to find here?
    Predominantly women's clothing, but it's a hidden treasure type of place. Most of the suits they have are fused dreck, but I found a Corneliani 6x2 double breasted navy pinstripe suit for less than $200 on clearance just over the past summer. Also have seen stuff like RLPL polos and other casual wear. I wouldn't go there expecting to find anything, but I have it on my list of places to swing by for a quick look. If you go to Neiman Marcus and Saks up there anyhow, it's just a slight detour.

7. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I'll make sure to do so, thanks.