• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice complete this outfit?

aalewis

Reaction score
I'm looking on advice to complete this outfit (ignore the shirt) I have the pants and shoes. It's for a evening christmas party.

Option 1:
Matching red velvet blazer
Black shirt
black velvet bow tie

Option 2:
Black velvet jacket
White tux style shirt/plain white shirt
Black velvet bow tie

Or your suggestions.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't wear a black shirt. White shirt is the only option with a formal outfit. And it always looks better.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you the turn?

You will look a fool and be thought a fool but it is Christmas. Burn the shoes quickly.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you the turn?

You will look a fool and be thought a fool but it is Christmas. Burn the shoes quickly.

GBR, do you ever say anything constructive or helpful? As you say, it's Christmas. People like to have fun. Most people are not going to be sneering at other people's shoes. And if he has friends like him, it is unlikely that they will share your particular social or sartorial norms. However, within the options he has set out, we can still enable him to fit in, have fun and look like he has made an effort. Or at the least, you can say the things you want to say without the condescension.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will try to be the first helpful answer. : get some pants that are the correct length, those ankle-freezers look ridiculous.(sorry, even if others wear them, they look just as bad.)
or get them fixed which can be done by people in an hour or less. if you want to wear them as-is, wear some nice ankle high boots.
of the two choices, the red velvet! FTW!!!!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
white shirt, black textured bow tie.

it's a party not a funeral. good luck.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dorothy called. She wants her footwear back.

Sprezziamo

Reaction score
Last edited:

aalewis

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't wear a black shirt. White shirt is the only option with a formal outfit. And it always looks better.

I will try to be the first helpful answer. : get some pants that are the correct length, those ankle-freezers look ridiculous.(sorry, even if others wear them, they look just as bad.)
or get them fixed which can be done by people in an hour or less. if you want to wear them as-is, wear some nice ankle high boots.
of the two choices, the red velvet! FTW!!!!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
white shirt, black textured bow tie.

it's a party not a funeral. good luck.

I felt the same about the pant length, although my tailor was insisting that this was the correct "look" for dress slippers. My pants are however receiving further adjustments right now I'm tempted to bring them down slightly too.

The matching red velvet blazer is $3000, Giorgio Armani. I'm not going to pay that much so unless I find a cheaper alternative I might have to settle on black to avoid risking any clashing between the shoes and a non-matching red blazer.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka