• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice and tips for choosing a good roommate

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Not sure i'd agree that women make better roommates than men. I've lived with women that were great roommates, but their BFs were over a lot and they were horrible to have around. Another was just as much of a slob as any male roommate I've had, and it was a pain to get her to help out with chores.

That reminds me - sometimes you move in with a roommate, and end up living with a couple. It rarely works out well.

chunkmo

Reaction score
I guess when choosing a roommate all you can really do is look at their appearance, ask about their hobbies and what their job is/what they're studying. Chances are if you ask them if they're clean, they'll just say "yeah... i'm pretty clean". Try asking their friends how they are. Although not 100% accurate, the stereotypes of what they do will give you an idea of what they're like. Eg. "I like clubbing" usually means mid week parties/loud/randoms over all the time using your stuff and eating your food...

If you do end up getting a bad one heres some tips for dealing with it:

Keep basically everything you own in your room. If its out in the public areas, it will be used/misplaced/broken/have some strange sticky substance on it when you go to use it next.

If its out in public, do as much as you can to discourage use of your items. I passworded any electronics, placed it in an inconvenient spot, remove a vital part of its operation or make it confusing to use. None of my roommates can touch type so i rearranged all the keys on my keyboard and had a complicated password. If they cant use it, they wont break it.

If you dont mind cooking, buy a lot of raw ingredients. Chances are your roommates are too lazy to prepare food correctly and wont eat all your stuff.

If you don't have your own fridge, label your food so it doesn't get eaten.

None of you will clean/maintain the yard. Make sure everyone puts money in for monthly yard keeping.

Try organize 1 day every month where everyone cleans the entire house. Its amazing how sticky the floor can get, or all kinds of strange things can be found under couches if you don't check regularly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads