1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Adventures in Buying a Ferrari for $2

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Chotii

Chotii Senior Member

Only if the paper clip is clipped around a tuition payment. ;)

2. ATLjon

ATLjon Distinguished Member

Related, @dieworkwear: This made me laugh so hard:

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Think I made some good buys here for a week coming up, no?

32FC1311-4BF8-4566-A0DA-3FBF5CF6E205.jpeg

4. kingsuperdad

kingsuperdad New Member

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If it's paisley, I'll probably like it.

6. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

Fun thread Spoo and will be entertaining following along. Judging by this last batch of your finds, it should be an ongoing mindblowing adventure of the crazy deals you score and flip. Certainly, your proximity to NYC allows you to scour a number of sources with some high-level "inputs".

7. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Member

Super excited to read about this. I love red paperclips. I love red Ferraris!

Very inspirational.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You joined the forum 7 years ago and this was your first post?!

9. Anachronist

Anachronist Senior Member

I'm joining the fray and really curious to see how this story plays out. Also secretly hoping that it doesn't end in the kind of "hate & bashing" you see so often on other forums when a thread goes on for a while, but that critical additions are voiced in a constructive way that permit a civilized dialogue.

For my part, whilst never having purchased from SpooPoker, I admire both the relentlessness and the intuition that goes into making such a business successful. I also may add the hypothesis that I believe its success lies rooted in the fact that most people who enjoy style, probably also take pleasure in the hunt for thrifts and consuming the "loot", but primarily for themselves. Meaning to say, most of us are probably more "gatherers" than "hunters" and you need to be the latter to be successful in such a business.

After stumbling over this thread last night caught by the intriguing title, I pondered if I could pull this off like Spoo as well, but am convinced I couldn't. Apart from the fact that I don't believe this would work nearly half as well over here in Germany, because second hand shops are rare and thrift stores like Filene's Basement are virtually nonexistent, I take too much pleasure in shopping things I like (which can consume quite a bit of energy and time because of me being too picky), I struggle in letting nice things go... so there you go, yet another ideal customer for Luxeswap ;)

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm not sure where you are in Germany, but there was a pretty impressive Jil Sander outlet in Leipzig back in the day. Seeing the number of businesses in Italy that started basically by helping to clear out of stock, including the first incarnation of Yoox, I'd say that the opportunity in the EU is most likely concentrated in the manufacturing companies.

11. Anachronist

Anachronist Senior Member

Yes, I would agree... if it all, it's probably buying at the factories directly or household sales. The "gatherer" in me however does miss a Filene's Basement over here... deals like that are rare to come by. The factory shops here are reasonable but not as cheap as you'd need in order to make a decent profit. Give you an example: I have the reputed German trouser maker Hiltl and the MTM manufacturer Regent (use to dress all German chancellors up to Helmut Kohl and supplied the evening frock for the Belgian King's coronation) in the vicinity, but you're still paying around $100-$150 for a pair of slacks or between $500-$1000 for a sport jacket and $700-$1300 for a suit... still nice bargains for garments in the league of Kiton that retail for 2-3 times the amount, but nowhere near Spoo's amazing thrifts... that's where I feel the real "savoir faire" comes in to know where and how to buy.

12. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior Member

Indeed @Anachronist -- the chance of finding a Tom Ford tie in a discount store in Germany is almost zero.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

He was pacing himself!

14. Jmm722

Jmm722 Distinguished Member

I'm going to follow your car to these thrift stores. I find nothing at the ones near me in Westchester. Might be stopping into the store tomorrow as I'll be in LI for work.

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

you have free health care