• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventures in Buying a Ferrari for $2

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this concept would be more honest if Spoo became homeless, started with an actual red paper clip, and then climbed his way back to a loving marriage, child, and red Ferrarri.
Years ago I saw a white beater Honda Civic hatchback parked at the Santa Monica, CA DMV, with every single non-glass/non-rubber surface completely covered in glued-on white computer keyboard buttons.

It was awesome.

I think that a red 4-seater Ferrari, beater or not, completely covered in glued-on red paper clips, would look even awesomer.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that a red 4-seater Ferrari, beater or not, completely covered in glued-on red paperclips, would look even awesomer.

Thats actually pretty cool.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats actually pretty cool.
Seriously, it looked amazing. It was extremely well done, very precise, perfect. It was the most fantastic kind of info-age ironic mannequin if I ever saw one. Perfect car for the project, too.

A red paper clip Ferrari would be Cadillac Ranch iconic.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes sense, but maybe you/we could stipulate that it has to be new goods procured, rather than stock you already own, which seems to be loading the dice a bit?

I'm definitely not saying that you can't borrow against your earnings, but it seems that an integral part of the game is your ability to find the next links in the chain in a timely fashion.

Some weeks for you might be slow weeks for thrifting, and then you need to play catchup. Other weeks, you might have a gangbuster week, and use some of that previously unused thrifing money from this project, etc... It would seem to give the game a bit more uncertainty and variability, which would make it more exciting, at least for the rest of us.

Otherwise, it's simply a matter of seeing that you can resell well, something that is pretty cool, but which we already know. I'm more interested in seeing whether you can do this within the timeframe, than whether you can do it, which we already know that you can.
I kind of want to see him do it with the least constraints possible. This can become a collection of the most ridiculous thrift finds (because that's how you get to the end in the least steps).

Spoo is like the Usain Bolt of thrifting. Give him his track and sit back and watch. How ridiculous can it get? Will he spot a Birkin for a tenner (well that'd end the game quickly)?

Much more fun than watching a slow grind.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of want to see him do it with the least constraints possible. This can become a collection of the most ridiculous thrift finds (because that's how you get to the end in the least steps).

Spoo is like the Usain Bolt of thrifting. Give him his track and sit back and watch. How ridiculous can it get? Will he spot a Birkin for a tenner (well that'd end the game quickly)?

I've always been a grinding, smash mouth, wear-you-out-and-make-you-quit type of fighter, and so that's what I like to see in games like this as well. I mean, the everyone can get lucky, but getting lucking time after time, month after month, year after year? That's skill. That's heart.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been a grinding, smash mouth, wear-you-out-and-make-you-quit type of fighter, and so that's what I like to see in games like this as well. I mean, the everyone can get lucky, but getting lucking time after time, month after month, year after year? That's skill. That's heart.
Happy with pre-defeat Rousey personally. But if that's what you want, we should do it as a Spoo vs [other legendary thrifter] race.

HotToddy

Reaction score
Sorry if I was a cynic in my post yesterday. I genuinely was not aware there were such deals to be found with the right knowledge / eye/ knowhow.

Having said that the original red paper clip challenge was a bit of a joke. People were making terrible trades with Kyle just to get some publicity and do him a favour. Who would swap a part in a straight to DVD movie for a house?

Again I wish you luck Spoo. Also why did you not spend more of the profits from the wallet sale on this weeks auction? You still have money left so surely you do not need to wait 10 days to spend it if you find something good to buy.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You can bet your bippy you'll see some of these coming up that I just found.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...rt-iii-sept-2018.637155/page-521#post-9616836

Sorry if I was a cynic in my post yesterday. I genuinely was not aware there were such deals to be found with the right knowledge / eye/ knowhow.

Having said that the original red paper clip challenge was a bit of a joke. People were making terrible trades with Kyle just to get some publicity and do him a favour. Who would swap a part in a straight to DVD movie for a house?

Again I wish you luck Spoo. Also why did you not spend more of the profits from the wallet sale on this weeks auction? You still have money left so surely you do not need to wait 10 days to spend it if you find something good to buy.

All good! I could have spent them all, but its about finding the right thing. Call me crazy but Im rolling this on intuition. A piece will speak to me and Ill know that its the right one for the job.

$371.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
*storms out of movie theater*

"excuse me but i was told this would be a neverending story"

upload_2019-1-17_20-37-10.jpeg

mrFurly

Reaction score
I think this concept would be more honest if Spoo became homeless, started with an actual red paper clip, and then climbed his way back to a loving marriage, child, and red Ferrarri.
No lie...im just about there.

Long story short...ive been couch surfing the past month (will be moving into an apt next week) because of a breakup.

All I will say is that anyone who doesnt think this is possible is crazy.

Thing is...its a lot of work...and long hours.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No lie...im just about there.

Long story short...ive been couch surfing the past month (will be moving into an apt next week) because of a breakup.

All I will say is that anyone who doesnt think this is possible is crazy.

Thing is...its a lot of work...and long hours.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Wish you the best on getting back on your feet. Glad to hear you're getting an apt next week.

mrFurly

Reaction score
Damn, sorry to hear that. Wish you the best on getting back on your feet. Glad to hear you're getting an apt next week.
*not to derail*
Thanks...it may sound worse than how it really is (I dont have any kids).

Just saying, people in the thread should focus on what Spoo is trying to point out, and not nitpick everything he's doing here.

I took 2018 off to try and build a business (failed), but ive been reselling since 2012...so I know the money is out there.

The amount of stuff ive bought the past few weeks while homeless is insane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads