• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventures in Buying a Ferrari for $2

MMiUSA

Reaction score
Surprised at some of the negativity in here.

@SpooPoker is a good dude who I have bought items from in the past. Dude just has an eye for deals and has immense product knowledge.

He answers a lot of questions and helps a lot of people learn how to sell/ list efficiently. This is not indicative of someone simply bragging of their wealth, more indicative of someone who has self built a decent lifestyle and is trying to give back and inspire/ teach.

Enjoyable stuff so far Spoo! Looking forward to the rest. I scored some vintage Red Wing Postman for $4 the other day at my local thrift. Hoping to turn those around for a small profit shortly. Always inspired by your stuff man.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It makes sense, but maybe you/we could stipulate that it has to be new goods procured, rather than stock you already own, which seems to be loading the dice a bit?

I'm definitely not saying that you can't borrow against your earnings, but it seems that an integral part of the game is your ability to find the next links in the chain in a timely fashion.

Some weeks for you might be slow weeks for thrifting, and then you need to play catchup. Other weeks, you might have a gangbuster week, and use some of that previously unused thrifing money from this project, etc... It would seem to give the game a bit more uncertainty and variability, which would make it more exciting, at least for the rest of us.

Otherwise, it's simply a matter of seeing that you can resell well, something that is pretty cool, but which we already know. I'm more interested in seeing whether you can do this within the timeframe, than whether you can do it, which we already know that you can.

Sorry if that wasn't clear - yes, it all is 100% brand new stuff that Im finding that starts the game - nothing from the back stock. With any of the following weeks coming up, that stuff will all be found starting "now". Anyone who follows the thrift thread can see my posts of the stuff there too.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is not indicative of someone simply bragging of their wealth, more indicative of someone who has self built a decent lifestyle and is trying to give back and inspire/ teach.

This.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised at some of the negativity in here.

@SpooPoker is a good dude who I have bought items from in the past. Dude just has an eye for deals and has immense product knowledge.

He answers a lot of questions and helps a lot of people learn how to sell/ list efficiently. This is not indicative of someone simply bragging of their wealth, more indicative of someone who has self built a decent lifestyle and is trying to give back and inspire/ teach.

Enjoyable stuff so far Spoo! Looking forward to the rest. I scored some vintage Red Wing Postman for $4 the other day at my local thrift. Hoping to turn those around for a small profit shortly. Always inspired by your stuff man.

Haters gonna hate.
No matter who you are or where you are in life, they'll always try to keep you down.
Ignore the noise, disassociate yourself from losers and surround yourself with winners.

It's the only way to go through life an absolute ball-crushing success. Look at Trump. Look at Spoo.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without Spoo and the thrifting thread I would never have started going to thrift stores at all. I go just for me unless I find something nice that I'm sure I can flip for a decent value.

NWOT Brunello Cucinelli jacket, paid $7 sold for $225. I only go once every couple of weeks or so finds like these are out there you just have to know what flips.

bro. theyre out there if you put in the time. youll find a lot of nothing most of the time, then youll find a cashmere brioni blazer for $5 the next time.

This.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Spoo should just buy the Ferrari now and use the thrift money to make the payments :lol:
I'm willing to give him a personal loan, at a very reasonable rate. That way, everyone wins!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be like the red paperclip thing. Instead, it's appearing more like "I run a business which makes a profit. By the end of this year, I'm going to buy a Ferrari with some of that profit."

Which, again, that's really cool, but that's entirely different than the premise of this thread as I understood it.

*storms out of movie theater*

"excuse me but i was told this would be a neverending story"

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a neverending story"

giphy.gif

^ me
ferrari

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never participate in clothing, etc. threads anymore (no negative reason; I just don't have the care/time/energy) but I do remember "following" SpooPoker and the "red paper clip to a Ferrari" thing years ago with interest.

The eBay sales also looked like a hit to me whenever I saw them, and I would sometimes wonder, "Where does that guy get that Midas touch?"

I certainly do not understand the negativity being expressed here at all; SpooPoker's quest, however framed and executed, is certainly harming no one at all, and will be at worst be humorous, at best be interesting and educational.

All that said, I have to admit that at this point in SP's career, I am a bit disappointed that this quest #2 is titled, "ADVENTURES IN BUYING A FERRARI FOR $2" rather than, "ADVENTURES IN BUYING A GULFSTREAM GV FOR $2".

Just another Ferrari (even if a 4-seater this time), ~10 years later...what with company growth, inflation, etc...I don't know...really kind of feels more like a lateral move at best....

:D

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m just catching up! How much did the wallet go for?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All that said, I have to admit that at this point in SP's career, I am a bit disappointed that this quest #2 is titled, "ADVENTURES IN BUYING A FERRARI FOR $2" rather than, "ADVENTURES IN BUYING A GULFSTREAM GV FOR $2".

Gulfstream GV is bullshit. ;)

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this concept would be more honest if Spoo became homeless, started with an actual red paper clip, and then climbed his way back to a loving marriage, child, and red Ferrarri.

Kind of like Naked and Afraid, materialism edition?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads