1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

adventures in bespoke: Paolo Scafora pictorial

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jan 29, 2011.

1. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Special thanks to aportnoy and Eustace Tilley for generously sharing their experience and suggestions...

In Naples for the weekend and was able to secure an appointment to visit with Paolo Scafora. Naples being Naples, the network of personal relationships run far and wide, so it came as only a mild surprise to discover that Mina knows Paolo and she kindly offered to accompany me. The Scafora operations are outside the city in a neighborhood which can be best described as demographically and socio-economically "diverse." The ability to speak Neapolitan is essential here, as even while asking for driving directions Italian seemed to have limited utility. I seriously doubt I would have found this place on my own, and even with Mina driving we had to settle on meeting Paolo at the nearby Kiton headquarters, after which he guided us through a series of narrow roads to a small industrial complex.

Paolo is probably in his mid to late thirties, an affable guy with a strong vision for his brand and a clear direction for his operations. What struck me most in contrast to my half day in Northampton was just how immaculate his factory operations were. Machinery was new, floors were swept, and artisans were organized into tidy workstations. His staff are a mix of veterans as well as younger blood, and while staff were friendly I came away with the impression of an environment simultaneously relaxed yet filled with hushed intensity and attention to detail. Paolo will work and refine bespoke lasts on wood, and once the fit is nailed down he will recreate the lasts in plastic to better withstand the affects of the elements over time. All Scafora skins (calf, croc) arrive denuded, with Paolo preferring to have full control over painting and burnishing to arrive at "his" colors. These colors were very nice indeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the factory, we went next door to his gorgeous showroom to conduct the foot tracing and have a coffee (which was wonderful). The pictures here really speak for themselves. With 15 last shapes to choose from, I decided on a soft chiseled toe midway between the EG888 and 82. Simple double-monk with captoe, burnished espresso, 8mm sole with fiddleback and my initials. Paolo travels regularly to NYC, and as luck would have it his next visit at the end of February will coincide with my own. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my trial shoe will be ready for that trip. Will continue to update this thread as my first-ever bespoke shoe commission unfolds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rhett.gay.edu.gov.jp

Rhett.gay.edu.gov.jp Member

Wow, thats really awesome you went so out of your way to do something so cool. I love that idea, COMPLETELY custom tailored shoe, props!

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

hope you still have some energy left for vienna. [​IMG]

4. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

hope you still have some energy left for vienna. [​IMG]

I'm googling "segway rental Wien" right now [​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That alligator chukka boot is singing to me.

Congrats on the new stuff, and great pics.

6. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Wow. Those are some beautiful shoes. [​IMG]

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

E, that Paolo chap looks vaguely familiar.

Well done!

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

He looks quite young. I would've imagined a much older fellow. How long has he been in business?

9. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Great report medtech. I'm sure the shoes will come out nicely.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Love those shoes you snapped. Any pics of what your finished product would look like?

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

That alligator chukka boot is singing to me.

Congrats on the new stuff, and great pics.

+1. The other gator boot is also full of win.

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Anyone care to comment on quality of Scafora versus Ugolini?

13. Germanicus

Germanicus Senior member

medtech-expat, thank you for your interesting and detailed reports. Finally some quality in here again.

14. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Bravo Eddie. Le scarpe sono belle. Ma la piu bella e la tua compagna [​IMG]

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the great report, E. And for upholding a great Styleforum tradition.
    The workshop is surprisingly modern and new. I wouldn't have thought that.
    Nice choice in the double monks. Looking forward to seeing the finished shoes.

16. *#..

*#.. Senior member

I like it, good choice medtech!

17. clausc

clausc Senior member

Thanks for the pics and sharing the experience. Why only a couple of companies/countries can produce such beautiful shoes?

Do they sell RTW models at the factory? What's the price ratio between bespoke and RTW for similar shoes?

The 2 pairs of Scaforas for Gianfranco Ferre are currently my best shoes and I can only dream of bespoke for the moment.

18. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, E!

19. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

As always, great thread! Your threads here now beg the question to the mods: I know you can subscribe to threads, but can you consider a feature allowing you to automatically subscribe to threads started by certain members?

Just curious; what are you weaing here though?

[​IMG]

20. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Those suede loafers are awesome.