• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adventures in bespoke: Chittleborough & Morgan

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Trousers and waistcoat are coming along very nicely, but I was actually most impressed with the coat. :)

Lapels will be 4 inch peaks, slightly moderated from what I understand is the standard C&M 4.25-4.5.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I had one suit made by C&M about 8 years ago. Very similar commission to yours: 13 oz Lessers grey nailhead, 3 piece, SB peak lapel, but with a vest without lapels.

Joe Morgan is a great guy -- very personable, professional, and a perfectionist. He has a definite house style, which one must buy into if one is to be happy with the result. Yes, he can accomodate requests around the margin, such as ticket pockets, shape of lapels, etc. But your suit will look substantially like the silhouette depicted in medtech's basted fitting. In fact, his suit at this early stage has the same shape as my finished suit.

At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with my C&M suit. I was just never comfortable with the style. Again, to be a happy customer, you have to like the C&M silhouette. I gave it a try and it is a good suit, but I find that I gravitate towards wearing suits made by other tailors (and some RTW like RLPL).

gusvs

Reaction score
That looks really nice Eddie! The pants are fantastic!

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
Bry2000 comment seems to be pretty accurate when we take into account the report from Simon. The house style seems to be what you get and, from what I've saw, it's basically pictured here.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this how the jacket is supposed to look from the side? In other words, is it a stylistic choice unique to tailors like C&M?

It seems to accentuate your back swept posture rather than camoflauge it.

LL

I have the same type of posture and would prefer my jackets to have a cleaner line from the profile.

Like this (mine it OTR Corneliani)

Edit: according to the pic in this thread, the shape of your jacket may be objectively "right": http://www.styleforum.net/t/236057/balance-explained/0_50

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

Is this how the jacket is supposed to look from the side? In other words, is it a stylistic choice unique to tailors like C&M?

It seems to accentuate your back swept posture rather than camoflauge it.
I have the same type of posture and would prefer my jackets to have a cleaner line from the profile.

Like this (mine it OTR Corneliani)
Edit: according to the pic in this thread, the shape of your jacket may be objectively "right": http://www.styleforum.net/t/236057/balance-explained/0_50

Could you clarify what you mean by "cleaner profile"? The Coneliani jacket appears to have no shape whatsoever, almost like a poncho. Medtech's jacket follows the curve of his back like I'd expect any tailored jacket to do.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Could you clarify what you mean by "cleaner profile"? The Coneliani jacket appears to have no shape whatsoever, almost like a poncho. Medtech's jacket follows the curve of his back like I'd expect any tailored jacket to do.

If it were my jacket, I would like a little more material in the back. The back looks concave to me. Just a stylistic preference

johanm

Reaction score

If it were my jacket, I would like a little more material in the back. The back looks concave to me. Just a stylistic preference

Isn't everyone's lower back concave? I guess you could prefer a flat line in the back, but to me that's like preferring flared vents or a roll below the collar....

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pics at the moment as I'm traveling in Asia. But I've had a few additional basted fittings and things are coming along very nicely, so much so that I just had a basted two days ago on a navy pin DB from Lesser 13oz. I've got pics of that one so will post when back home.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of an interim and then forward fitting of my first commission. Joe and I have taken our time with this one, making small adjustments along the way with modifications to my pattern in parallel. Should be completed for early January. For those of you on the fence with the C&M house style, I've found Joe very open and willing to moderate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads