• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adventures in bespoke: Ambrosi pictorial

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Special thanks to both Parker and pocketsquareguy for generously sharing their experience and suggestions... Managed to squeeze in an appointment last night for measurements and cloth selection. Salvatore has been gunning hard to complete commissions before leaving tomorrow. He will have upwards of 100 pairs of trousers with him, a fair number of which is damage caused by our community. I met as well his father Antonio, who was elegantly turned out and patiently suffered through my somewhat tortured impression of the Italian language. We started, of course, with a coffee. Measurements, followed by model and cloth selection: (a) charcoal worsted by Carlo Barbera, double pleats and button fly, and (b) mid brown thin wale cords by H&S, flat front with the wrap-around tab closure, zip fly. Pics below of my return visit 16 hours later for the fitting. The Ambrosi workshop is located on what for me is a typically Neapolitan street - narrow with slabbed stone, with random bits of laundry hanging from balconies. I saw a number of SF commissions, including those of iammatt, Will and pocketsquareguy. While ordinarily their workshop would be buzzing, this is a Saturday so only father, son and one other person was present. The fit of these trousers is a bit more narrow than what Mina does for me, so I'm curious to give them a test drive in real world conditions. They graciously allowed me to snap some pics, given the tremendous interest here on SF. Will pick up on my return trip to Naples. To be continued... pocketsquareguy - here are your pants!!
biggrin.gif

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great short rise slacks.
Are the gray pair pleated?
The photo isn't clear.
Also, are they priced the same
in Naples as in the US?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are the pinnacle of trousers making!

- M

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for sharing - looking forward to seeing the finished product!

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes yours!

The building looks as the usual drug dealers from downtown in Spain.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G&G Burlington vintage rioja on T73. That color is killer, as it shifts from aubergine, burgundy to dark brown depending on the lighting.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting my pants. I could use those cozy flannels right now in NYC! But happy to be seeing him on Wednesday in San Francisco.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred49
PS Guy I just saw your pants in a hotel room in LA...nice

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get to see them tomorrow! I still haven't heard where I am supposed to meet Salvatore.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get to see them tomorrow! I still haven't heard where I am supposed to meet Salvatore.

G, with these international sightings of your trousers, I think we all deserve some fit pics.
smile.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
G, with these international sightings of your trousers, I think we all deserve some fit pics.
smile.gif

I just ate my way through NYC for the last few days. May need to wait until I get back to my boyish figure before I'm posting fit pics. (Maybe I need to ask him to add elastic to the waist?
smile.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads