• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventures in bargain shopping

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had my eye on this Borrelli topcoat ever since it appeared at my local Filene's Basement (Connecticut Avenue). It is double-faced cashmere, quarter lined, with patch pockets and spalla camicia shoulders. Absolutely beautiful. Filene's price was $1899.99, which was way out of my price range. The topcoat was then moved to the 30% discount rack. Still too expensive. A few weeks ago, the discount became 40% off. That was still too much until a salesman informed me that I could use a 20% discount coupon on top of the 40%, which would result in a total of 52% off, bringing the cost to under four figures. I thought a lot about pulling the trigger, but then remembered that I had overheard a salesman saying that the 40% off discount would go through November 16. I received another 20% off coupon for use from November 15 through 21, which clinched my decision to wait to see if a higher discount would kick in.

This past Saturday, I headed to Filene's bright and early in the morning armed with my 20% off coupons. Sure enough, the discount had moved from 40% to 50% off. If a salesman allowed me to use a coupon on top of the discount, I could get the coat for 60% off, which would be slightly over $800, including tax. Pretty reasonable price, I thought. I approached two young salesmen on the floor and asked them whether I could stack a 20% off coupon on top of the 50% off discount. One of them replied that I couldn't. Just as well, I thought. I really don't need the coat anyways.

The salesman then said, "We'll take 50% off the price, then take 50% off that price, which is a better discount." Um, what? The salesman was stating that the items on the discount rack were effectively 75% off! I had to verify that I understood what he said. I plucked a shirt off the rack, pointed to the price tag, and asked, "So you'll take half off this price, and then take half off again?

"Yep."

Not believing my good fortune, I quickly tried on the coat again. It fit like a dream, requiring almost no tailoring. I brought the coat to the counter (making sure I got the same salesmen to check me out), and asked again, "So you'll take half off this price and then half off again?" The salesman affirmed, and rung up the coat. Total cost: $475 before tax, just over $500 with tax. Or approximately 89% off the original listed retail price of $4300.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

If anyone's interested, the coat is also available in a size Eu52. I can't guarantee you'll get the same discount as I did, however.
tounge.gif

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow!!! Would love to see it. Went to FB in Mazza this weekend and was totally underwhelmed. Will have to get to CT Ave.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats just a mean story. Not even in my wildest dreams would that happen in Calgary.....I think I need a road trip. Nice find and buy. For those of us that can get to the shop, do you remember the salesman's name?

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I have had my eye on this Borrelli topcoat ever since it appeared at my local Filene's Basement (Connecticut Avenue). It is double-faced cashmere, quarter lined, with patch pockets and spalla camicia shoulders. Absolutely beautiful. Filene's price was $1899.99, which was way out of my price range. The topcoat was then moved to the 30% discount rack. Still too expensive. A few weeks ago, the discount became 40% off. That was still too much until a salesman informed me that I could use a 20% discount coupon on top of the 40%, which would result in a total of 52% off, bringing the cost to under four figures. I thought a lot about pulling the trigger, but then remembered that I had overheard a salesman saying that the 40% off discount would go through November 16. I received another 20% off coupon for use from November 15 through 21, which clinched my decision to wait to see if a higher discount would kick in.

This past Saturday, I headed to Filene's bright and early in the morning armed with my 20% off coupons. Sure enough, the discount had moved from 40% to 50% off. If a salesman allowed me to use a coupon on top of the discount, I could get the coat for 60% off, which would be slightly over $800, including tax. Pretty reasonable price, I thought. I approached two young salesmen on the floor and asked them whether I could stack a 20% off coupon on top of the 50% off discount. One of them replied that I couldn't. Just as well, I thought. I really don't need the coat anyways.

The salesman then said, "We'll take 50% off the price, then take 50% off that price, which is a better discount." Um, what? The salesman was stating that the items on the discount rack were effectively 75% off! I had to verify that I understood what he said. I plucked a shirt off the rack, pointed to the price tag, and asked, "So you'll take half off this price, and then take half off again?

"Yep."

Not believing my good fortune, I quickly tried on the coat again. It fit like a dream, requiring almost no tailoring. I brought the coat to the counter (making sure I got the same salesmen to check me out), and asked again, "So you'll take half off this price and then half off again?" The salesman affirmed, and rung up the coat. Total cost: $475 before tax, just over $500 with tax. Or approximately 89% off the original listed retail price of $4300.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

If anyone's interested, the coat is also available in a size Eu52. I can't guarantee you'll get the same discount as I did, however.
tounge.gif

Thanks for the call.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That's spectacular. Congrats. Any chance of a pic of the coat?
Ian's pics are pretty representative. I'll take pics if I ever get around to getting a digital camera.

Originally Posted by A Canuker
For those of us that can get to the shop, do you remember the salesman's name?
Didn't get his name; a really young dude.

Originally Posted by scnupe7
Thanks for the call.
Sorry, man. Didn't have my cell on me at the time and I got so excited I wasn't thinking straight.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Oh wow. Nice bargain.

b

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ooh. All those aportnoy smileys make my eyes hurt.

Good work, AC.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow-- congrats on your killer find! yes, shopthefinest has nice photos, but we can't appreciate the shoulders of the coat without seeing a photo as worn. post some pix of that baby, please!!

spence

Reaction score
Wow, I'm jealous as I've been looking for something similar for some time.

Much better than the coupon manipulation they run at Off 5th's. The 30% off coupon really gives you an additional 0-5%, but they did get you into the store now didn't they
plain.gif

-spence

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics