• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
Like I said, It is a matter of style, not fashion. You have all the fashion and pedestrian looks you want. I'll stick with timeless style and elegance. I do wear all my shoes everywhere.
Honestly, your best argument is attacking my specific pair of shoes.
My taste spans many brands from CJ, AS, JL, GG, Betsetti and more. I just don’t buy crap because it is only made locally. No quality whatsoever.

So, just to make sure I understand you right: Alden and Allen Edmonds = no quality whatsoever?

Quote:
Are you flirting with me? But, seriously, ^that all looks pretty linear to me. I'm sorry for whatever incensed undertone of argument you think I'm sending your way, but it isn't there. Though, if my questions ignite your fuse by their inherit existence, feel free to disassociate yourself from this conversation, this is, for the time being, a free country. (with apparently low quality shoes ; ) )

^that's a joke, by the way.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do I frequent the worlds finest hotels? On occasion. Do I meet with high level executives and others who frequent high end hotels? of course.
Do they wear nice shoes...yes for the most part.
If you were to show up to a meeting there in a pair of audleys...absolutely nothing would happen. Nobody would make disparaging comments, no one would really give it another thought. I think your own particular biases are causing you to think people care more than they do. Its simply a non issue.
While i agree that the crowd you hang with has a lot to do with it, I'm certain that even the snobbiest of folks are not talking **** about C&J handgrades.
Not to mention, I really hope you aren't wearing your ridiculous looking G&G decos to meetings

I wore my most ridiculous G&Gs (Red Oakhams) to the last meeting in which I closed a multi-million dollar professional service contract. And I have, more than once in my career, been asked to make references regarding attire for my customers.

You simply have no frame of reference for that which matters in the world of CREATIVE big business. In Advertising, Architecture, Design, etc. etc. appearances matter, a lot. If I were to show up for a meeting in a pair of Audleys or even my C&J Shell Finsbury's I would look like one of you 'money men' and quite possibly be labeled by potential clients as 'not creative'. When selling creativity as a big business often the 'intangibles' are more important than the tangibles. Often clients hire based on meeting someone who 'looks creative' it's really all just part of the game. After all, if you have already done your homework, narrowed your selection down to the three most likely firms, and your last step is to meet the players before making a decision, wouldn't you be paying attention to EVERY nuance of their personal presence?

When looking for very expensive creative talent would YOU hire the guy in the red G&Gs or the guy in the Audleys? You surely know the answer here - anyone can see that.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OP was this:
Besides impressing your collegues and clients at the hotel, is the quality of these shoes that much better to deserve paying the extra money? Will the $1000 shoes last longer than the $500 shoes?

Not likely that any of the RTW shoes priced around a grand will last one second more than a $500 pair. Total wearing is probably pretty equal. Although oak bark tanned soles, as available almost exclusively at price points above $500 will indeed last longer than most of the soles on the $500 shoes.

None the less - there is no financial advantage to be gained in terms of 'investing' in anything more solid than Alden, AEs or C&J benchgrades.

Last edited:

cosmic

Reaction score
A $1k pair of shoes is only somewhat better than a $500 pair. C&J/Church's are good enough for anyone to wear, IMO they are entry-level high quality shoes. EG/G&G are better, but not by so much that I think they are worth spending twice as much on (or getting half as many shoes for a given budget). If I was so loaded that money didn't matter, I'd go bespoke instead.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know is not everybody's preference, and I also know that is still a lot of money for a pair of shoes, but to ger a pair of handmade Vass, in the style and size you want it, for $500 or less ($600 for shell) is unbeatable in my opinion

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know is not everybody's preference, and I also know that is still a lot of money for a pair of shoes, but to ger a pair of handmade Vass, in the style and size you want it, for $500 or less ($600 for shell) is unbeatable in my opinion

$700ish for more reliable forum proxy services.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And how, pray tell, does one accomplish such from Vass at under $500?

I was not aware that such prices were possible from them. The last time I enquired about MTO it was more like $750. Have exchange rates become that much more favorable?

As soon as this drought in the construction industry is over I'm definitely heading for some Vass next.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And how, pray tell, does one accomplish such from Vass at under $500?
I was not aware that such prices were possible from them. The last time I enquired about MTO it was more like $750. Have exchange rates become that much more favorable?
As soon as this drought in the construction industry is over I'm definitely heading for some Vass next.

Very easily, that's just the price, that simple. As you know, im not improvising here, right know a pair of Vass is about 400 Euro, the exchange rate right know is less than 1.30, just multiply, it's not complicated at all. Of course you have to order directly from them and insist they don't include the price in the invoice for shipping, and pray they don't make mistakes, this is when the proxy helps. But as I said before, I'm looking forward for the mistakes, they almost always turn out for the better, they know what they are doing.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I obviously will be contacting you for assistance when the time comes! :nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding:

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
Interesting. I obviously will be contacting you for assistance when the time comes!
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif
Second that.

papa kot

Reaction score
Beauty and value are in the eyes of the beholder. Personally, I consider items such as fit and looks as a major advantage. In my book if you wear a suit that costs more than $2K you better be wearing quality shoes and accessories. Thus, I am not opposed to $1,000 shoes by any means. Also, I love supporting the craftsmen who, in my opinion, are making art that is actually useful.

FYI, my collection does not contain any shoes that are $1,000. I think $500 is the most I've paid so far, but it was back then when I was pretty much ignorant about brands, shoe making process, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads