1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MCanavan6, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Distinguished Member

FWIW, my experience.....I've handled mostly AE, an Alden and C&J (both by BB) before running into StyleFo. Average of these items are 15+ years old. I was never into the details on craftmanship, material, sourcing and etc..All I knew was the quality label synonymous to the brands. Although I have read about JL, only at this fora that I learned about EG, G&G, Vass, Carmina, St. Crispin, Cleverly, AS etc, not to mention construction, materials, and lasts..For a while, I was so obsessed acquiring an austerity wingtip, either by EG or St Crispin. Can I afford it? Yes, which is all I cared about during the time I was contemplating of the purchase.

But the more I read and followed discussions, it occurred to me a few other questions that I should be asking. Fit? maintenance? availability? lifestyle? Well, I don;t wear suit everyday (I wish I can), I work from home twice a week. SC/trousers on days I'm in the office and 3-4 times a year in suiting when meeting with Sr. Execs. I also came to realize that acquiring those shoes does not really satisfy my needs based on my current and social environment. I guess I just don't want them bad enough. I have acquired a shell, suede and a couple of items for casual settings, which is more in tune with my current style evolution. Things might and will change, but until then.....

Now, looking back to when I started as a professional 18 years ago and wishing I had the knowledge back then, would I buy a 1000K shoe(s) ? YES I will. I try to invest on finer but fewer pieces. Other may disagree on fewer items(shoes), this is StyleForum after all.

...as a compromise on austerity brogue, I am still thinking of C&J Drummond in Beechnut as a special order. I try to ignore GDot's pictures of his own to minimize the temptation. Not sure how much longer I can manage.

2. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

Your mileage may vary. Shoes in a 100 shoes wardrobe with owner mostly walked on carpets will last much longer than shoes in a 10 shoes wardrobe that walks to work.

Crease should be on the vamp area between toe cap and throat line, and yes.

3. jk2317

jk2317 Well-Known Member

Oh man ... bluchers on double soles? I've got Dovers like that. What a thing, breaking those in... Hang in there, pal. It's like the gays say nowadays: It gets better.

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Distinguished Member

Don't bother.
    You're better off with two $500 pairs.
    Better yet, 3 pairs of $333 shoes.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

5. add911_11

add911_11 Distinguished Member

There is no advantage, only the good feeling when you use $1000 on your feet and everyone will be jealous.

A good fit doesn't comes with high price, except bespoke.

6. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

don't be such a p.ssy, srsly.

7. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

not sure if serious. imo, lurk more noob.

8. add911_11

well that what OP wants to here, isn't it?

High cost doesn't mean a good fit, that true.

9. AMG1

AMG1 Senior Member

I would go for Ludwig Reiter.

10. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

no, it isn't. btw, one fact doesn't rule out the other and vice versa. long way home, imo.

11. add911_11

I think we should just move on, I am not going to argue with someone who has an immense knowledge on shoes, a man's 'home' is his castle.

12. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

alright. fair enough...

13. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Distinguished Member

you get to sneer at individuals who don't give a rat's arse that you're wearing a pair of $1000 shoes

but seriously, I see no additional benefits to owning higher end shoes. if you can afford them then great, but I see nothing wrong with the mid-tier shoes you've listed.

14. Gorecki

Gorecki Well-Known Member

being born in Felgueiras (Portugal's shoe makers capital) all i can say is...[​IMG]

15. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior Member

Please, elaborate.