1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MCanavan6, Aug 20, 2012.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

apples to oranges, imo.

hendrix and some others point was, that it is unnecessary to talk your ass off about some gimmicky features of your favorite brand. got it?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. chogall

chogall Senior member

That's kind of a generalization, no? Hand clicking and machine clicking, hand closing vs. machine closing, hand lasting vs. machine lasting, etc. From lasting along there could be some quality improvements (or, less manufacturing variations, whatever you want to call it). A better process or a better quality control that yields lesser variation of finished good should be considered higher quality, IMO.

I don't think it is fair to mistaken the quality of the process for the quality of manufacturing. There are and will always be manufacturing quality differences between all gy welted shoes, such as AE vs. JL or C&J bench vs handgrade. There are and will always be as much as manufacturing quality differences between hand welted shoes, say Vass vs. G&G bespoke or Chinese handwelted shoes vs. Spigola bespoke.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo, nobody denied that.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Aren't many supposedly "mid-tier" shoes (C&J handgrade and Carmina?) handclicked and handlasted too?

Hand clicking and hand lasting will result in a marginally better quality shoe but those marginal improvements seem more marketing gimmicks to me when the internal construction is ignored.

It's more likely to me that they've decided that handlasted shoes are going to be their marketing point that allows them to sell at the price they do over their competition.

Actually I think Lobb Paris are machine lasted anyway. And I know $250 shoes that are handlasted.

To me it's more likely that someone would buy JL City IIs because the 7000 is amazing, than that they're handlasted. If they were using quality as a justification, there are more important things to think about.

You're right though it is a generalisation, doing things marginally better is nonetheless marginally better. These are certainly differences it quality.

My original comments were reactionary to the "beveled waists" and "Look at these shoes, no $500 shoes look like these". Not everyone wants pointy shoes. and people shouldn't be told their shoes are lower quality because they don't feature a particular design.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

from the prescott & mackay blog

From the artisan shoemaker to the factories in China everything begins with the human hand: from designing a shoe, modeling a last, cutting a pattern, lasting an upper or molding a sole unit. Mass manufacture is only a larger scale artisan: in the way the artisan uses a tool a factory might use a machine, machines can help us, but they still need to be calibrated and operated by the human hand. And it is in this sense that shoemaking is an art not a science.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Incremental details, such as sole tapering, edge shaping, complex patterns, etc create a lot more manufacturing complexities, and tackling those problems could be deemed as a 'quality' improvement despite the fact that they do not change the functional aspect of the shoes.

Besides, as with most of other tangible or intangible goods in the world, people are willing to pay through the roof for those marginal improvements before perfection.

1 person likes this.
  7. suited

suited Senior member

[​IMG]

Those are 2 advantages.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

My $1600 St. Crispins are the shit.

1 person likes this.
  9. kev777

kev777 Senior member

No real relevance to the thread whatsoever but he's not wrong !!!!

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

who?

11. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Mr Moo check out his SC's they are abs fantastic, doesnt really matter about the price they are just a stunning pair shoes. We can discuss at length the whys and wherefores of construction and value for money but sometimes it just all comes down to " they look good, they fit good and they make me feel good!!"

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ah, ok. you're right. they're not bad. st. crispin's is pushing the envelope. that's for sure.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Well they are so hard to find in shops, they must need a higher price point for the weaker economic of sale.

Anyway St. Cripin's shoes are very well made, easy to last a long time, plus their sole treatment is in my opinion the best, the real rock solid.

Perhaps Fritzl may explain more.

14. darkcamel

darkcamel New Member

That's quite a lot to spend on shoes..
    The advantages would be you'd feel a million dollars wearing them and for that price you'd expect them to last for a long time!

However, it'll feel as though someone's taken a piece of your arm if they ever get scuffed and you'll be constantly walking on eggshells.
    I'd save the money from the upgrade and buy a nice shirt!

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

When you lurk more, I believed you will turn back and say 'why would I said that?', don't worry, this place is full of evil.

Now someone is going to throw shit at you, good luck.

16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

That's your personal opinion. Mine is this.

It is unnecessary to talk your ass off about some rustic features of your favorite regional maker?

There is absolutely no excuse for your insistently rude, crude, and insulting insistence on attempting to impose your personal tastes and choices on others.

In my opinion it is highly detrimental to the process of learning for those who come to this forum to discuss the various details of the shoes to which they have access.

17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

You gents all make great vague arguments, can we end this thread now :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  18. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

US-based price is $1600+ e.g. Leather Soul. Does this relate to the cost of importing the shoe for sale and markup? Last time I ordered directly from Saint Crispin's the price was 800 euros for shoes, 830 euros for boots. Trees were 90 euros and shipping with DHL was 90. You can specify which of their RTW lasts you want, leather type and colour. First order gets you a 15% discount on shoes and trees.

So does the approximately $1250 price tag (non-discounted) for an hand lasted, high quality construction, MTO shoe represent a better value over a $500 pair of shoes? Does the first order discounted price trump the $500 pair even more? To be honest, you can get similar quality and MTO options with Vass for half the price. But our choices are not only made with our heads but with our hearts. You cannot put a price on esthetic appeal.

For me the answer is simply "yes". Fit (objective) + MTO (objective) + esthetics (subjective) + 6 week turnaround (objective). SC offers me something I have yet to find in the $500 shoe. However, I would not expect everyone to agree and I might change my mind should I run across the $500 shoe the fits as well and offers as much flexibility in ordering. I'm sure it is out there but have not met it yet.

19. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i wouldn't bet on this.

20. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

This is what I call a 1% thread.

1 person likes this.