Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MCanavan6, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I'm good with that - I would never suppose that everyone likes what I like.

Here are the Drummonds in both colors that I own - and I do agree with you that these are a pretty good substitute for a really fine pair of English shoes. They do however, exceed the price point under discussion ($500) by a good 20%.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From 6 feet away they look pretty expensive. Only someone who is really paying attention would notice that the waist is not as tight, nor as lifted, that the sole edging is less detailed, and that the leather simply isn't up to G&G quality. These are all very slight differences. Although, even with these very minor differences noted the overall effect is still somehow 'not quite' up to a G&G, is it?

Oh, and I chose the orange sock photo just for you! :crackup:

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Also very nice.

By the way I think your choices of socks look just fine, if not stylish.

Thanks also for pointing out the finer details.

For a person just learning it's quite helpfull to have someone point these out.

Thank you.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

these are gimmicks. nevermind.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Last shape, high and narrow waists, sole shaping and edging, and quality of materials are gimmicks?

Please explain. I surely must have misunderstood as all of those features are a function of craftsmenship/quality.

Sure you may not prefer to have a high and tight waist on your shoes, that's fine for you and your foot. But for those of us with high arches and narrow feet they are pretty swell. And there can be no denying that these features are among the many features of quality and craftsmenship.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes please explain what you mean when you say they are gimmicks?

GDOT certainly doesn't think so, and I can see why he may not think so based on his explanation.

Certainly the finer details are often what distinguishes the difference between being good and being great.

6. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Gdot could you elaborate please?

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

it's not worth. g. is a markteting man and he quotes high gloss brochures. good job. i don't mind it.

this discussions come up every once in a while. it's fun, nothing else. some guys take it serious, anyway.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i'm looking forward. very exciting.

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

On a G&G (and many upper end shoes) the sole edge is 'beveled' or rounded at the waist in order to increase the effect of the waist being narrower. In addition the edges of the soles are sanded finer and present a much glossier surface than on a pair of C&Js. The sole edges are also cut much closer to the vamp on most very expensive shoes. All of these things actually cost extra to produce as they require more skill and care than the simpler details used on benchgrade shoes.

VERY minor details that indeed one would not notice without studying the shoes closely. But if you go back through the photos I just posted you will see the difference when you look closely at the side views.

However, speaking from the perspective of one who designs for a living, I contend that all of those tiny details accumulate into something that is significant, when the object as a whole is viewed by even the most uneducated. These tiny differences are, in fact, what makes one shoe good, another shoe very good, and another shoe great in terms of their visual effect.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

horses for courses to be sure.

11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

double post deleted.

12. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Naturally aware of differences in finishing of sole edges, but didn't realise such stock was put into the glossiness of sole edges.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very informative.

Thanks again for expanding on your original comments.

Not much difference when comparing luxury watches really.

The more attention to design, detail, effort, skill, and the more time is required.

Thank you

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well - benchgrade shoes can show some pretty rough sanding marks, even up to the point that I would call small gouges. These don't polish out even with care and personally they bug me a bit. Although I again acknowledge that I'm a 'shoe guy'.

I don't care a flip about such minor details in a casual shoe - as I intend to wear them while knocking about town, on sidewalks, subways etc. etc. and the sole edges will soon enough be beat up. But my 'meeting shoes' lead a pampered life and to me it matters.

15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

It's just attention to detail, no more no less. As you pay more you should be able to expect more.

Goes to reason that the better the shoe manufacture is and the more it cost the more they pay attention to every single little detail.

If you ever get a chance compare a Rolex to a Patek and if your paying close attention you'll see the same type of differences as well.

Rolex is a great watch company and they are known for it's history, durability, and dependability.

But Patek is revered for it's history, it's ability to make very thin extremely complicated movements, and great attention to detail. From the gold rotor to the other various parts they meticulously finish or polish by hand.

Of course it's all in the eye of the beholder and what you believe that detertmines if you see any value in any of these differences.

However as GDOT pointed out, others around you may notice these things as well.